Is this gourami sick???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fvalbr2l

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a blue gourami that is sometimes on the bottom pointed up or down, and somtimes is at the top. It does eat and looks like its gasping for air. It looks fine and doesn't move as much. I have a 30gal tank with the eclipse 2 filter,NO2 .1, NH3 0, PH 6.4. I have lots of plants, water is about 79 degrees. been doing this for about a week. I added a bit of salt today to see if it helps. any ideas.

Thanks

Also i have lots of white spots on the glass and on some plants. they look like ick if they were on the fish. i scrap them off the glass and they come back in a few days.

Do you see him pooping at all? It is possible he is constipated. What are the tankmates? Have you tested for NO3? When was the last time you did a pwc? How long has your tank been set up? If you think it may be the beginning of ich, slowly turn the temps up to 86 F. Salt can be added depending on your tank mates.

The white spots on the glass could be Hydra. I had a problem with them a few years ago and cut back on the amount of food being fed. They started to dwindle in number and eventually disappeared. If this is Hydra, it's harmeless to adult fish but they can capture and eat small fry if they wander too close.

Sounds like the Gourami could have a problem with the swimbladder. When a fish appears to be "sunken" at the bottom of a tank or floats at the surface one of the reasons could be a swimbladder disorder. Does the fish list to one side or the other? Does the fish have trouble maintaining its position in the water when it's not swimming? Any erratic swimming movements?

Unfortunately, if this swimbladder then there isn't alot that you can do. Sometimes an antibiotic will work but that is only if the problem is caused by a bacterial infection. Other than a bacterial infection swimbladder disorders can also be caused by viruses, injury or genetic defects.

I would also like to know if you tested for nitrates and how often do you perform water changes and gravel vacs? How much water is removed with each water change?

Bryan

Hi all, I haven't tested for NO3 I try for weekly water changes 25%. The last time was Oct 28 I do gravel vac with the changes. I've got 2 other gourami's, 1 puffer, 3 mollies, 1 chinese alge eater, 2 clown loaches, 2 khulis loaches, 6 tiger barbs. I've had it setup since Aug 24, only had one death a betta of fin rot. The sick gourami doesn't have trouble maintaining postion when not swimming and no erratic movements. I haven't noticed if its been pooping. what do i do with constipation.

There are a few things that you can try if a fish is constipated. The first would be to feed the fish thawed frozen peas. You can mush them or split the skin it make it easier for the fish to eat the soft inside of the pea. The peas act as a laxative to help clear the fish out. Other options for doing this are daphnia, veggie flakes and Epsom salt.

Bryan

The gourami started today swimming erratic so I guess its swim bladder. anyone had luck clearing it up. I have a fungus clear should i try it. will the others get it.

Don't add salt with the loaches. They will suffer because of it. Check whether there is any warnings on the fungus clear before you try it. You may have to remove the loaches when treating. Try the peas as well, it is amazing how well it works for constipation, a lot of times constipation can be the cause of swim bladder troubles. Good luck and keep us posted.

Zags are you referring to aquarium salt or to the Epsom salt? I agree with you about not using salt with the loaches since they can be sensitive to it.

Thanks,
Bryan

theirs no warning for fish, just keep away from children and it may stain aquatic materials. Plus I only have one tank. Could it be to late to treat. I had a betta with fin rot and I treated to late.

There won't be a warning for fish on the box but some fish like tetras and scaleless fish like loaches and some catfish aren't very tolerant of salt.

Epsom salt on the other hand isn't salt- it's magnesium sulfate and is safe to use when treating a fish with constipation because it will not affect osmosis. I usually recommend this when peas and other veggie foods haven't alleviated the constipation.

Bryan

"The last time was Oct 28 I do gravel vac with the changes. I've got 2 other gourami's, 1 puffer, 3 mollies, 1 chinese alge eater, 2 clown loaches, 2 khulis loaches, 6 tiger barbs."

With that amount of fish i would definitely aim for WEEKLY 25-30% pwc....

Back
Top Bottom