Is this Ich or something else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Richelle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good morning everyone,

My goldfish appear to have white spots or something in their gill covers. I thought it was ich. I've been treating them for months with Paragard. The tank temp is at 82. The spots are slowly going away, maybe 4 or 5 a month. Since this not resolving very quickly, I thought I'd ask if this is ich or something else?

Attachments

• P_20200215_102837.jpg
    P_20200215_102837.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 43
  • P_20200215_102902.jpg
    P_20200215_102902.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 38
  • P_20200215_103146.jpg
    P_20200215_103146.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 39
  • P_20200215_103451.jpg
    P_20200215_103451.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Well those are really only a few spots. I gave heard of something called stress ich which is brought on by a drop in water quality or some other high stress thing like moving them to different tanks. In those cases, getting stable good water quality should really be more the focus than dumping medication in there. Have you tested the water parameters throughout this process?

Yes, I purchase RO water to change the tanks, heat the water to 82, and change at least twice a week, because there is no carbon in the filter due to the meds.

I never have carbon in my filters unless removing meds. Since gold fish are cold water fish I'd see if slowly going back down in temperature and see if that reduces the stress on the fish and removes the last few spots. At this point, after months, whatever benefits it might have given I think is used up.

Maybe a stupid question but you’re not using pure RO for water changes are you? You’re using something to get the mineral levels back up?

Correct, not pure RO. We get the water from a local fish store that has an RO system with UV. They add essentials back into the water.

Fungus clear

I got a female swordfish sat.
24 hours later she had whites places on her. I got some jungle fungus clear from Wal-Mart. I have a 75 gallon tank so used all eight fizz tabs. 2hours later my swordfish is laying on the bottom of the tank. Before i put meds in the tank she was swimming around. Is this normal behavior after meds?

I figured but just wanted to make sure!

Grantfish, no, it’s not normal but please make your own thread so someone can help you there!

Back
Top Bottom