Is this mouth rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kylefight11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought 3 blood fin tetras yesterday to fill out my depleted school. On of them has what looks like a growth coming out from its jaw.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431714447.493632.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431714484.017318.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431714518.226791.jpg
The mouth appears normal to me other than that lump. The fish can't eat, every time it tries the food just bumps into its face, like it can't produce any suction.
So what is this, is it contagious, and what can I do about it?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Possible injury during capture at LFS?
Not eating will lead to other problems that may become contagious .

It could be an injury, the woman at the fish store was having a lot of trouble catching one of them.
I've also noticed that it is staying near the bubble stream in the corner of the tank, as if it's not getting enough oxygen. So what do i do about it?

I can't tell you what to do.
You need to decide if the fish may be treatable and if it is worth it?
Or if the risk of infection or other issue is worth risking the whole tanks health.
Any other fish with any other or similar issues?

All the other bloodfins (the only fish atm) are perfectly happy and healthy. And if anything his condition has improved a bit. He no longer seems to be running out of oxygen. He still won't eat food though. So, assuming it is an injury, would it heal before he starves to death or should I just euthanize him?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom