Is this normal goldfish behavior?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldiefins

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I’ve had my fancy goldfish for 2.5 years now. He’s always spent time just laying on the bottom of the tank. Recently I’ve noticed he’s spending more time on the bottom during the day. I don’t know if he’s just sleeping since he tends to be more active at night or if there’s something wrong with him. (Ps: due to my work schedule I am only able to feed at night which is probably why he’s more active then).

Your Goldfish

Hello, I’ve had my fancy goldfish for 2.5 years now. He’s always spent time just laying on the bottom of the tank. Recently I’ve noticed he’s spending more time on the bottom during the day. I don’t know if he’s just sleeping since he tends to be more active at night or if there’s something wrong with him. (Ps: due to my work schedule I am only able to feed at night which is probably why he’s more active then).

Hello Gold...

I have a lot of Goldfish and as they mature, they take on individual habits. Goldfish are less active at dusk, like some of us are. The lights going out signals a time for rest. If the fish is otherwise active, I wouldn't fret over this behavior. Night feeding really isn't the best. Food can be missed and uneaten food can certainly foul up the water chemistry. Remember, Goldfish are heavy oxygen users and waste producers. You need to be changing out most of their tank water weekly to remove dissolved waste material and to maintain a higher O2 level.

B

Back
Top Bottom