Is this some sort of mouth fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevenht

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is the 2nd day of this. I honestly thought it was brine shrimp left overs when I first saw it cause that's what I feed them and the 2 batches of fry I have gotten. 20180627_125002.jpg

it looks like an infection called columnaris "cottonmouth" but i cant say for certain. maybe someone else more experienced will chime in. if it is cottonmouth then it will slowly eat the lips off of your fish.

Columnaris is certainly a possibility, but my guess is that the little guy had a lock jaw fight with a tankmate causing injury. The white growth is a fungus that attached itself to the damaged tissue.
If there is no viable suspect tankmate, then Columnaris is more likely. At that point it's important to remove the fish asap.

Well the multis are being territorial. There are 2 batches of fry in each of the corner of the tanks. They mostly try and bully and the Julie's but the Julie's do try and eat the fry.

Possible this guy got a little too close to the fry?

If your fish is still alive today, Columnaris probably isn't the problem. As noted, the white growth is likely a fungus growing on damaged tissue. Melafix and clean water might help.

That type of injury is fairly common with both African and New World Cichlids. I've got a German Red Peacock with a similar fungus covered scrape abrasion healing up in my QT tank right now.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Got some melafix and dosed before I left for work one evening and when I woke up the next afternoon its significantly smaller

Back
Top Bottom