Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-16-2016, 08:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Is this strange behaviour for a catfish?

Hello!
I am very new to fish keeping. I have a 100ltr tank with an Aquamanta EFX 200 filter. Water is heated at 28 degrees. We have pure aquarium gel balls and a fluval sachet in the filter and do a 20ltr water change each week, adding 5ml of tap water conditioner. I don't have a water testing kit so get the water tested at an aquatic place near where we live. It is usually fine but we had a nitrate and ammonia peak about three weeks ago. I did a 50% water change and added the fluval to the filter then. The water was fine when tested this morning.
I have 4 guppies, 6 harlequins, 4 zebras all these are between 1 and 2cm long. 2 yellow dwarf gouramis which are about 3cm long, 3 little albino corydoras maybe 2cm long and 2 snails. we were given a iridescent shark catfish by a friend last week but I am not sure if it is ok. Its a beautiful looking fish but swims frantically backwards and forwards along the front of the tank almost as though its trying to find the way out! I haven't seen it eat anything at all. It will suddenly just sink to the bottom occasionally for a while as if it is going to die, then starts the whole procedure all over again.
Can anyone tell me if this is normal or is it stressed? I have no idea what to do. It is about 10cm long. Thank you in advance!

Old 07-19-2016, 10:23 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hi, welcome to the forum From memory these are active fish but really need someone else to chime in here.

Tags
behaviour, catfish, fish, strange

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com