Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-24-2003, 03:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Calcifer10000
is this zebra sick?

Hi,

I've got a zebra danio that lately has been isolating itself from the other two in my 10 gal tank (these 3 are the only inhabitants). I don't have stats on the water condition, but from the antics of the other two, I don't think it's affecting them. I'll be getting the water tested in a few days though. Temp: 78 F, ph 7 is all I know at the moment.

This danio doesn't eat, at least not like the other two; it darts toward food, then veers away before reaching it. It also stays unusually still, near the gravel and seems to float around without much control, like it's weak, which I guess it is, as I haven't seen it eat for about 2 days. I saw it sort of thrash around a few times, but for the most part it just floats around.

There's no growth on its skin/eyes/mouth/fins that I can see, no white spots or anything. I may be paranoid, but there does seem to be a faint velvety whitish coat on its flanks, making its scales look slightly dull. Then again, maybe all danios have that and the other two just move too fast for me to really see them.

Should I isolate it? Get medication? Raise the temperature? Add salt?

Thanks!

Old 07-24-2003, 03:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd isolate it asap just as a precaution.

The velvety coat makes me kinda nervous. There is a disease called "velvet". Its really contagious.

You can read about it here (with pics): http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html

and here (scroll down to Oodinium): http://www.fish-disease.com/diseases.htm

Old 07-24-2003, 03:53 PM   #3

Quote:
The velvety coat
The thing is, I had looked up velvet, but it doesn't seem to be velvet, it looks more like a thin sheet of something rather than the 'talc'-like velvet disease discussed in that website (which is by the way really useful!)

I guess I'll isolate it anyway...do you think I should I try medication at this point? If whatever this is, is contagious, should I treat the whole tank too?
Fate flies as though divinely sent
But is more earthly than you think

"...It's not like I drifted here on the tides of fate. I'm here because I chose to be here."
--Irvine Kinneas, FF8

"Swimming through a sea of hurt;
My life, my pride is stronger..." --Linkin Park
~~~
Calcifer10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 04:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Its so hard recommend meds when one has no idea whats being treated.

If it isn't talc like, does it look like the slime coat is overproduced/coming off? There are a couple of diseases which have that symptom ( Chilodonella,
Costia for example).

I would get into a QT and observe it. You might want to try Melafix while figuring out what the problem is; it does have some antibacterial properties and will be safe to use. If its a heavy bacterial infection, it won't be enough, and it won't really help if its parasitical in nature, but I would probably start there. I wouldn't treat in the main tank unless we either find out for sure what it is, or symptoms show up. You don't want to kill your bacterial filter if you don't need to.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:21 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice, Allivymar! I'll just observe for awhile till I can figure out for sure what it is, and maybe pick up some Melafix.

I've heard that salt dips can sometimes help disease recovery; can someone explain the difference between using uniodized table salt, aquarium salt and marine salt?
Fate flies as though divinely sent
But is more earthly than you think

"...It's not like I drifted here on the tides of fate. I'm here because I chose to be here."
--Irvine Kinneas, FF8

"Swimming through a sea of hurt;
My life, my pride is stronger..." --Linkin Park
~~~
Calcifer10000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ick, sick, zebra

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com