is this zebra sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calcifer10000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I've got a zebra danio that lately has been isolating itself from the other two in my 10 gal tank (these 3 are the only inhabitants). I don't have stats on the water condition, but from the antics of the other two, I don't think it's affecting them. I'll be getting the water tested in a few days though. Temp: 78 F, ph 7 is all I know at the moment.

This danio doesn't eat, at least not like the other two; it darts toward food, then veers away before reaching it. It also stays unusually still, near the gravel and seems to float around without much control, like it's weak, which I guess it is, as I haven't seen it eat for about 2 days. I saw it sort of thrash around a few times, but for the most part it just floats around.

There's no growth on its skin/eyes/mouth/fins that I can see, no white spots or anything. I may be paranoid, but there does seem to be a faint velvety whitish coat on its flanks, making its scales look slightly dull. Then again, maybe all danios have that and the other two just move too fast for me to really see them.

Should I isolate it? Get medication? Raise the temperature? Add salt?

Thanks!

The velvety coat

The thing is, I had looked up velvet, but it doesn't seem to be velvet, it looks more like a thin sheet of something rather than the 'talc'-like velvet disease discussed in that website (which is by the way really useful!)

I guess I'll isolate it anyway...do you think I should I try medication at this point? If whatever this is, is contagious, should I treat the whole tank too?

Its so hard recommend meds when one has no idea whats being treated.

If it isn't talc like, does it look like the slime coat is overproduced/coming off? There are a couple of diseases which have that symptom ( Chilodonella,
Costia for example).

I would get into a QT and observe it. You might want to try Melafix while figuring out what the problem is; it does have some antibacterial properties and will be safe to use. If its a heavy bacterial infection, it won't be enough, and it won't really help if its parasitical in nature, but I would probably start there. I wouldn't treat in the main tank unless we either find out for sure what it is, or symptoms show up. You don't want to kill your bacterial filter if you don't need to.

Thanks for the advice, Allivymar! I'll just observe for awhile till I can figure out for sure what it is, and maybe pick up some Melafix.

I've heard that salt dips can sometimes help disease recovery; can someone explain the difference between using uniodized table salt, aquarium salt and marine salt?

Back
Top Bottom