I've added salt...now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sofoofala

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. :) So, umm...here's the thing: I have a ten gallon tank (3 platies 1m, 2f, one dwarf gouriami and two albino cory cats.) I'm afraid my platies are sick (they have black patches on their body.) So last night, I gave them the right dosage of aquarium salt for my tank, and that was that. Now what?
PS- I would have a hospital tank, but I am 13 years old, so that's not exactly in my budget, and the parentals don't want to spend that money...:(
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

Hi, how new is the tank? How long has it been running? Do you have a test kit to test the water? How often do you do water changes and what dechlorinator do you use?

It could be a lot of things; but if the tank wasn't properly cycled before adding fish it could likely be ammonia poisoning. If you could answer the questions above it will help us determine what's wrong with the fish and what the best action should be.

Hi if you could take a picture of the fish it would help. Are these black patches new ? or did they have them when you got the fish?

No, I know what it is, but the particular name has escaped me. My question is: now that I have added salt, do I continue to do so every time I water change? (10 percent, once a week) FYI my fish are already looking better. :D

Back
Top Bottom