Jack Dempsey Has Bacterial Gill Disease! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J-Aqua

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been researching and I think my Jack Dempsey has this. Anybody have experience with this or treated it successfully? It all started out about 3 weeks ago when my JD had a serious case of bloat/constipation. His feeding times were only 2 times a day for only 1min and a 1/2. The next day I noticed that his belly increased in size and he seemed to have slight breathing troubles. I checked the water and water parameters were normal and good (tank fully cycled for more the 4months). So I decided to treat the tank with some epsom salt for constipation. After a day of soaking in epsom salt nothing changed and did a 75% pwc everyday. I tried to feed him skinless peas but he would NOT eat anything.

Weeks went by and nothing changed still bloated, heavy breathing, and no eating. So I decided to take him out put him in a 5 gallon tank with a cave for hiding spot and treat the tank with "maracyn-two" : Treats bloat, dropsy, tail/fin rot and parasites. I treated him for 7days, and the only improvement that I saw was he looked a little smaller but not much. After that I put him back into the main tank and was back at square one.

The next day to my surprise he was back to normal size maybe a little thinner but normal size. Next I tried to feed him and he STILL DID NOT want to eat! Even if the food fell right infront of his face he still wouldn't even try to eat it. The only issue he still has is HEAVY breathing! His gills are a light pinket/brown and heavily moving. Hard to explain but looks as if his main gill is permanetly out while his other layers of gills "flicker" and move, and he is almost gasping for air. Water parameters are:

Amonia: 0
Nitrates: 0-5ppm
Nitrites: 0
pH: 7-7.5
Temperature: 78-80

Doing PWC every sunday 50%.

He is very lethargic, and lays down on the rocks. When he swims however he swims normal but not as fast as he use to. He is about 6inches and is only about 8months old. His coloration is very DARK and he is starting to look on the thin side. Also my other fish in the tank (convict, 2 yoyo loaches, sailfin pleco) are doing fine. No illness at ALL!

Here is a link to BGD (Bacterial Gill Disease), I was just curious if anybody had prior experience w/ treating it?

http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/disease/gill disease.htm

Any suggestion and or advice would help a lot. I want to try to save him from suffering and make him better. He's been through a lot so far and he seems like he is trying to fight it.

TIA
J

Never had to treat it, sorry. When is the last time you tested after using the Maracyn-Two? It can destroy your bacterial colony, causing a spike in ammonia, which is honestly what it sounds like is happening to your fish. The darkened color, listelessness, heavy breathing, and gill irritation. How is the flow in your tank? Does the temperature stay stable? Do you run activated carbon?

Devilishturtles said:
Never had to treat it, sorry. When is the last time you tested after using the Maracyn-Two? It can destroy your bacterial colony, causing a spike in ammonia, which is honestly what it sounds like is happening to your fish. The darkened color, listelessness, heavy breathing, and gill irritation. How is the flow in your tank? Does the temperature stay stable? Do you run activated carbon?

When I used the maracyn-two it was in a QT 5 gallon tank, not the main tank. The water parameter test was done to the main tank not the QT tank. The flow on my tank is good I suppose. The 2 Emperor 210's are making a great push/splash in water. I also have a bubble wall thats going on in the background 24/7 as well. The temprature is very stable sits between 78-80 (sticker temp gauge).

:?

Back
Top Bottom