Jewel cichlid dead, why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeepjkchicky

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone, I am new to aquarium advice and I need your help! My jewel cichlid died last night. Over the past week it would stay towards the top of the tank, sometimes going to the bottom and just staying there. I checked the ammonia levels and the ph levels and both were fine. The next day the ph was fine and the ammonia spiked. I did a partial water change thinking that would help and added more aeration. It helped but only for a day. My jewel was acting some better and then started to have a film form over one of its eyes. Then last night when I returned home from work it was dead. I want to get more fish but I don't want the same thing happening to the new ones. What do I need to do? Obviously I don't know alot about aquariums and keeping a cichlid tank. But I love cichlids. Could anyone please help me to achieve a healthy tank for my future fishies? Thanks alot!!!

How old is your tank? I am wondering if there was a mini cycle and what brought it on if it is a well established tank. I do know cichlids do best in an older tank.

Hey Joy!
The tank is around 4 years old. The fish was closer to five years old. I checked the water again this afternoon when i got home and it has 7.2 ph level and 0ppm ammonia level. :confused:
Thanks for responding!!

There is a separate cichlid section, and for a small-fish guy like me, 5 years sounds like a pretty long life for some fish... the people who post in that section may be able to shed more light on this.

btw, the film over the eyes, did it appear over the rest of the body of the fish?

I just did a little research and found the average lifespan of the jewel Cichlid is 5 years. It is possible he died from age?

Thanks everyone!! He was a jewel cichlid. I guess he was old. The film was just over his eyes. Thanks for all of your help!!

Back
Top Bottom