I've been having this nagging feeling that my fish might be suffering from parasites as they had the symptoms that both Ich and parasites can cause (flashing, rapid breathing, etc). Well I got a new dwarf gourami and he is in QT for 2 weeks and decided a parasite treatment should be in order. I got an 8-pack of Jungle's Parasite Clear after hearing good things on this forum.
3 days ago I put 2 tablets in my 20 gallon (10 gallons a tablet is recommended dosage), and grabbed some shots. I was concerned not only for the fish, but for any snails I had in the tank because it said not to be used with invertebrates. Fortunately I can report that I have suffered no deaths, and I still have snails crawling around the tank which is good as well (to me at least).
I'm still on the fence about using a tablet in my 10 gallon QT tank since I originally got this to treat the gourami since I've read they are prone to parasites.
One thing I wanted to mention that might not be directly from the medication is that 1 of my 2 Oto's has always had a HUGE belly, and it looked green. I thought maybe he was just a heavy eater, but I had never treated my tank for anything but with high temp for Ich. I saw both Oto's and neither of them have the bloated belly look anymore. This could be from the medication killing the internal parasites, but it could also just as easily be a hunger suppressant if they don't feel good. Along with that thought a good bit of the flake food I fed and most of the algae wafer I put in the tank at lights out was still there in the morning, which gives more support to the effects of the medicine on hunger. They are all eating, just probably not as much as they normally would (I cannot comment on the BN pleco since he is out mostly at night). I also have a tiger barb whom has always been MUCH larger in the belly area than the rest of the fish ever since I got him, and I'll be interested to see if he has changed at all.
The directions do not say anything about a PWC
, but I'm going to give 1 more day (my last 50% PWC
was on Tuesday so its only been less than a week), and then do a 50% PWC
. That should have given the tank enough time to rid of any possible parasites.
I have not noticed the flashing but have also not had much time in the last 2 days to monitor them.
So all in all I would recommend these fizz tabs as a safe way to treat a possible parasitic infection. The 8-pack was about $3 from BigAl's and I saw the same pack at PetSmart for about twice that, so its a cheap easy to use medication.
Without further ado, here are the pics: