Just checking... betta question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
A few weeks ago I noticed that my betta, Herman, has a tumor or growth on his side. It seems to slowly be getting bigger. :( The scales are protruding on the area of the growth. I haven't posted about this here yet, because I thought that there was nothing I could do. I still think that, but I just wanted to make sure that there is no way I can save him. :(

I know that a few folks here are betta experts, so I just thought I would ask even though I am pretty sure I know the answer. I am not taking matters into my own hands just yet. Herman is eating normally, and if anything, just seems a little lethargic... but then again, he never was one of those "active" bettas. He just kinda likes to take it easy. He doesn't seem to be suffering... yet. But I think that unfortunately, there will come a time when I will have to make that call.

So, back to my original point... anything I can do?

Sorry to hear that. :( I don't think there's much you can do with a tumor except be ready to do what you must should the fish become unable to eat or swim. :cry: I blame this kind of thing on tired, old genes in the breeding genepool.

Sorry to hear about your betta. I have been able to halt bloat in a betta, but when they are to the stage that scales are sticking out, it's probably beyond our ability to help. But you could try. I had a betta once that had his scales sticking out for 10 days and he still ate and was fairly active. He died rather quickly on the evening of the 10th day, so I hope I did ease his suffering a bit in those 9 days.

If your betta is still eating, feed some peas. If he eats them, don't feed for a day or two after that to let his system rest. If you've already tried peas, then try soaking some bloodworms in a tablespoon of tank water with a pinch of powdered antibiotic, like Kanamycin, added. Let the bloodworms soak up the antibiotic and feed to the betta.

Another thing to try, if the betta is not in a planted tank, is to use epsom salt. Try 1/8 teaspoon per gallon and then add 1/8 teaspoon more the next day so that he becomes accustomed to the salt level. Keep him at this concentration for 3 or 4 days and maybe you'll see a reduction in the bloat. But if the scales are already protruding, or if it's a tumor like you think it is, these methods may not really help, and if he's stressed by the salt, do a water change. Just try to keep his water very clean to make him comfortable, and let us know how he is doing. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom