just lost a few

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hadvisor

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just lost a neon and a molly. They were slowing down the last day or so, the tail on the molly did not fan out as much. I have platys, mollys neons and serpae tetra. I know some of the neons were getting niped a little bit and some like to hide in the plants. I did some basic tests at home and found nitrates ok then the ph was up twards 8! It wasnt this high last i checked(maybe 7 or so before.) The dalmation molly and one of the black sailfin molly is doing great, happy active, the serpae tetra are all great- a little aggressive but ok, the platys are also fine. It seems that the one molly kinda got paralyzed and couldnt move his tail very far to one side-hung around twards top of tank by heater(46 gallon bow front at about 76 or 78 degrees). Please help, I dont want to torture these guys anymore. How should i lower the ph? Maybe a partial water change? Bad combo of fish? I'm probably gonna take a sample to lfs very soon for another opinion.
Thanks

pH

What kind of gravel/rocks does the tank have? The increase in pH makes me wonder if there is something in there that is releasing buffers into the water. Also, what kind of water are you using? I'm on well water here...strange thing, the water comes out of the tap @ 7.4 and, if left in a bucket for a couple of days, will increase to about 8.2.
Logan J

here..

Here is a pic of my gravel. I do use city tap water, was about 7-7.5 when started I do believe. Would a high ph affect not as hearty fish by thinning out thier fins and slowing their activity/dulling the color? Should I stay away from chemicals to control ph? Water changes has not done much of anything so far....

Back
Top Bottom