Keep loosing fish. Everything checks out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joe5688

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've lost so far a loach, tiger barb, and a rainbow. The only thing i changed was adding 2 rocks into my tank 4-5 days ago. 2 days ago was my first loss. The next day another loss. I took the rocks out and did a 80% water change. No fish lost yesterday and now this morning i woke up to find a rainbow dead.

Ammo- 0
Nitrite- 0
Ph 7.5
Nitrate- 10

They show no signs of sickness. No spots or weird behavors. Only thing i can think of was maybe something was on the rock. some kind of chemical. I'm going to do another 80% water change today and clean out my filter.

Were the rocks from outside, or store bought rocks made for aquariums?

Did you cleaning rocks? Also could anything have been on your hands when you put them in... I see you like working on cars so maybe some oil?

Hobgob said:
Did you cleaning rocks? Also could anything have been on your hands when you put them in... I see you like working on cars so maybe some oil?

haha how u know I work on cars?

I cleaned them.in the.sink and tested with vinegar and nitrate solution.

They were from my back yard.

Joe5688 said:
haha how u know I work on cars?

I cleaned them.in the.sink and tested with vinegar and nitrate solution.

They were from my back yard.

Haha It was in your profile, I saw it too! :)

Sounds like the rocks are the only reason for your losses. Your params look fine. Hopefully, the fish will stop dying on you

How dis you clean your hands? Did you use a scented soap? And ya your profile lol

That's a good one seeing as it's a rather large aquarium. I would say what was introduced, it had to have been very toxic

Yeah I always wash my hands after work. I just sprayed hot water over the rocks in the sink for 30 seconds. I lost 2 harliquins last night. This is reply pissing me off

Are you testing for the Ammonia , Nitrate?

You may have some sort of bleach which got in somehow.

Test the water
And do a lot of partial water changes until things look better.

Fishy Aston said:
Are you testing for the Ammonia , Nitrate?

You may have some sort of bleach which got in somehow.

Test the water
And do a lot of partial water changes until things look better.

Check the first post. all my params are prefect.

I've done now 2 80% water changes in the past 4 days. Well see how it goes

I would add carbon.

I am also assuming you removed the rocks?

In the future I would reccomend boiling anything you add for like 2 hours.

Are they rocks with big pours? I am just trying to figure out how a rock could have so much of a chemical held up inside of it. It seems to be that by doing 2 80% water changes you should have eradicated anything that would have been harmful for the fish in the water.

The best I can say would be to add the carbon and keep doing water changes and vacuum the rocks or substrate super well.

Has the wood been in there a while?

Yeah the wood has been in there for like 3 Weeks. They started to die right after I added the rocks. I also brought home 4 gbrs that died before I added the rock. Maybe they had some kind of disease.

Back
Top Bottom