keeping qt cycled..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thanew

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok, how do you guys keep your qt cycled ? im just wondering because i think mine is going through a mini cycle... its been setup for about 25 days.. it was cycled at about day 15 (used some filter media ceramic pieces from ac 500 to fit into the back)) but when I tested the water today the numbers were a little high....

so is it really important for a hospital tank to be cycled ? (yes I know the obvious answer is yet, but I've had several people tell me that they just set up one when need be.

and how do you keep your qt cycled ? i tried dumping a little food in every few days to keep stuff in to feed the bacteria..

thanks,
thane

How about running the filter in a tank until it is needed. Obviously if disease is involved then bleaching the media/filter is essential before putting back into a main tank. You don't need it set up all the time.... just add tank water and the filter.

A sponge filter will sit in the back corner of most tanks quite easily and can be put into the qt when needed.

There's a big difference between a QT and hospital tank.

A QT would be for new arrivals and observation. A cycled tank is a must. As mattrox says, a seeded sponge filter is all that's needed. The new fish and filter should be added at the same time so that there's a source of nutrients for the bacteria colony.

I never worry about having a hospital cycled. Many meds will kill the nitrifying bacteria anyway, and I'm always going to change lots of water when treating a sick fish.

I agree with the others. Stick the filter into another tank. If you want, you could have your tank cycled and just put in a fish or a couple snails to keep it cycled. Just don't forget about them. :D

Back
Top Bottom