Kissing Gouramis, hardy fish or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

i3k

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Some say kissing gouramis are a hardy fish that can survive all sorts of water conditions. Yet others say they die like flies?

Well about 2 months ago I purchased two of them and they died in my 29 gallon tank within 2 days with no signs of disease or stress. Well, they might have died because I had a problem with that tank. Here is a link to my post on the problem I had with one of my tanks. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=96954&highlight=

Anyways all is good with that tank now and the survivors are doing really good.

Well I have another fish tank, a 33gal freshwater tank that has been running for over 2 years now with no problems. This tank was kind of empty. All I had in there was 3 botias, and a tiger pelco. So I decided to order some more fish. I ordered 3 rainbow fish, 2 more small plecos, 3 kissing gouramis and 1 little rainbow shark. Two days prior to them arriving, I did a water change and tested the water and all was good. When the fish arrived they all looked to be in a good condition. I did the acclimation thing properly and tested the water once more. Once again the water conditions were perfet with the temp. at 78 degrees. I let the fish loose in the tank and they were doing good. All the fish started to explore the tank and find their favorite spots. They were all doing so good. And just last night 2 of the 3 gouramis just died. They showed no signs of any illness or stress last night before i went to bed. They looked healthy with plenty of energy.

So are these kissing gouramis just not a hardy fish at all or am i doing something wrong? I've read articles that people usually buy 10 or more of these kissing gouramis because they know half of them will die in the first week. Are they like chocolate gouramis that die for no reason?

So now I have one kissing gourami left and its doing good. I just fed all the fish and all of them attacked the food which is always a good sign.

Any one else having or had problems with keeping these pink gouramis alive?

IME, they are hardy if you get them healthy, which is sometimes hard to do. Best thing I would do if you really want some, is to try and get there the day your LFS orders them and keep an eye on them for a few days for deaths. When I worked retail, it seemed that I'd lose an entire order of kissing gouramis sometime, and other times they would be near indestructible.

Just my experience.

Only thing I can think of is that these gouramis arrived infected with ich. Is PETCO really a bad place to purchase fish?

Back
Top Bottom