koi meat showing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SmithySplash

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay my koi wasnt looking good. He had one fin clamped on the left and was very healthy. A smaller koi started picking on him so I pulled him out and put him in my 90 gallon by his self. I left town that tuesday night and came back on Thursday morning. And he looked like this. Any ideas what's going on?

ForumRunner_20130907_003839.jpg

ForumRunner_20130907_003940.jpg

Can you please tell us some more about your setup? Tank size(s)? Stocking? Parameters? Water change schedule? How many fish are afflicted?

Two 90 gallons. One planted. Ammonia levels and other parameters are good. Two other koi his size "5 inches" And 3 smaller 2inch koi.
I moved him in to my 90 gallon plant tank that has no fish in it. No other fish are affected and tanks are around 65 to 70 degrees.

Do you have any animals in your house?

It looks like something was eating him

Edit- or a flesh eating bacteria?

Nothing
That's what I was thinking with bacteria. Not sure how it could have come about.

Nothing
That's what I was thinking with bacteria. Not sure how it could have come about.

Whats the newst thing you introduced to your tank the koi was in? Is it possible a raccoon or a big rat got in your house while you were away?

He had an extremely serious bacterial infection, likely caused by aeromonas. Ulcerative disease in koi is most commonly caused by parasitic infections (flukes and/or anchor worms) combined with poor water quality and lack of suitable conditions. You did not mention specific parameters (this will help!).

Start by improving husbandry practices. Increase the water changes to 50-75% 2-3x a week, make sure the ph/kh/gh are sufficient, increase aeration/circulation and address flukes in both tanks by treating with praziquantel at 5mg/l for atleast 4 weeks. If another fish starts to show symptoms, start by treating everyone with a medicated food (such as MediKoi) and increase the salinity to .1%. Veterinary intervention is strongly suggested as injections of Baytril or another prescription a antibiotic has the best prognosis. Hope this helps!

Okay other fish are infected. One has mouth rot others have it on only one of there sides. All fish in quarantine tank. mediation is in and going. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom