Koi with a hole in the gill plate and weird eyes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enrgizerbunny

Aquarium Advice Addict
This fish is in a very sufficient sized pond, the goldfish are seemingly unaffected. He was in the leaves I was scooping up from the bottom. He isn't making an effort to swim. Bought him this summer.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1451247878500.jpg
    1451247878500.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 353
  • 1451247919589.jpg
    1451247919589.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 1451247947540.jpg
    1451247947540.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 106
He lays on the bottom on his side and flops like a fish out of water

I want to give him salt baths/dips. What salinity should I use? He's still alive at the bottom the pond, barely.

Most use 3-4 teaspoons per gallon or 1 table spoon which is 3 teaspoons.
This link has some info on baths.
Salt Baths - Betta Splendid

There are many other links on salt baths...
Make sure you are comfortable doing it,do it correctly and have time to do it correct.

Good luck.

Im sorry but that second picture made me laugh out loud.
Im not sure what you are trying to show me....is that a open red sore?
There are basically 3 things that would cause that, and ill give you the info in the manner in which it is prevelant.
KHSV Yes, Koi get herpes
Aermonoas, this is a bacteria that can cause open red sores
Fish TB Yes fish can get Tuberlosis, microbacterium marinum.
Rare ^
You should really consider getting some of this
Ken's Premium Sinking Pellets with Oxytetracycline 2.5mm
Very good stuff, used in the fish farm industry.

I'll look into the medicated foods, but until the water temperature comes up I can only treat directly as I cannot feed them. There is a hole in the gill cover, not really a sore. I can see the gill through it. A Google search suggested fish TB, but I've been simply waiting on him.

Also, the 6 goldfish are seemingly unaffected. He's the newest addition, and I bought him at like 4" long which he doubled just about.

So is it just one like this or many?
Maybe some frog or crawdad heck idk ive never kept fish in a pond before, but now you have knowledge of what to use for bacterial issues. Thats good stuff i told you about, they use it in the fish farms. Wipes them clean of bacteria feed it twice a day for 10 days.
https://www.google.com/search?q=aer...xaXKAhWB1R4KHZGBCm8Q_AUIBygB&biw=1600&bih=799
your right it really doesnt look like aeromonas or pseudomonas infection. ^

This koi died at some point during the snow storm. I pulled him out Friday and he was covered in mucus near his head. No autopsy, just tossed him in the creek in the back to rot.

This koi died at some point during the snow storm. I pulled him out Friday and he was covered in mucus near his head. No autopsy, just tossed him in the creek in the back to rot.

Sorry to hear that.

Don't think throwing it in the creek was a good idea, it could possibly transmit disease to other fish in there.

Back
Top Bottom