Kuhli loach had seizures and died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corn_pea

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just purchased 8 kuhlis >48 hours ago and all of them are normal except one. He was laying on his side when I got home and then he had a seizure and stopped moving. he was still breathing after the seizure and then he had another one and passed away. Normal parameters (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, >20ppm nitrate) and ph of 7.6-8 (they are captive bred kuhlis). Any explanation or advice?

29 gallon heavily planted with ample amount of hiding spaces, lights are on for >10 hours daily, tankmates are 4 platys, 2 rams, 5 corys and 7 kuhlis. Did a water change before I put them into the tank. I acclimated them for 40+ minutes, floated the bag and slowly added tank water to bag. Fed them tropical flakes and frozen bloodworms. I have 2 sponge filters, one is for 30 gallons and one is for 80 gallons.

corn_pea, it sounds like the fish was sick before you bought it. There is a lot of fish handling before arrival at the pet store.

corn_pea, it sounds like the fish was sick before you bought it. There is a lot of fish handling before arrival at the pet store.

Update, almost all the loaches have died, only 3 remain. Reddit thinks it was a bad batch because there’s nothing alarming in the tank. I am buying HEALTHY adult kuhlis from a reputable source now. Such a shame my LFS would even sell these to me knowing they were bad. I’ve bought good healthy ones from there before but their quality has declined. When I bought them they were pale and almost bloodshot red and now the remaining 3 are very pale. I have a very large one and 2 babies left

Back
Top Bottom