Kuhli Loaches having a seizure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greeny

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought two striped Kuhli Loaches and one Black Kuhli loach and the black one died within 12 hours after suffering numerous seizures that began within a few hours of being added to the tank.

The tank is new to my home, but has been in use for more than 10 years. 50 gallons.

I purchased several fish the same day but he was not harrassed and he died before the tank had a chance to have an ammonia spike from having too many fish added at once.

50 gallon tank.

Any idea what could have happened? Are my other two loaches in danger?

Thanks,
Greeny

How did you acclimate them?

I floated their bag on the water for about 40 minutes and then added them to the tank.

At the time, I didn't know about adding the aquarium water to the bag little by litte. Could that have been the problem?

Possibly. If the water conditions were much different (primarily TDS reflected in pH value), the weakest fish could have succombed. I would just chalk it up to experience and learn from it. It sucks to lose a fish, but if we learn from everyone then we can do better by the ones we still have or will get. ;) Good luck!

My bl;ack kuhli was doing the same thing, he is till alive though, but does have seizures often, kinda like a bad muscle spasm, it floats, lays on its side, floats upside down and swims in very very tight horizontal circles, none of the behavior is normal to my kuhli's.

I do agree with HN1, my tank parameters were higher then my previous tank they came from, mainly my Ph and alkalinity, its just .2 higher but once it regulated around 8.2 the kuhli has shown no signs of this behavior, infact he was just inside the worm cup eating on all the bloodworms that accumulated in there from the diurnal's dinner.

what i do is float then, then poke a tiny hole in the bag, and let the water from my tank seep into the bag slowly. then after like 30 minutes of water seepage, i let the fish into the tank...

Sorry to reactivate this. I figured I had some decent information for people to know about the kuhlis. I was warned by the pet store that I got my kuhli loach from that they're EXTREMELY nocturnal. They live in cave systems for the most part in the wild. The seizures are a result of their brain screwing up from too much light exposure. I was told to try to give them a decent sized shadow area for them to move around in, and they'll slowly acclimate themselves to light as they age. I was told that the spasms can be severe enough to break their backs, and they wont die at the time of the spasm, but theyll die from not eating days later while hiding in a shadow or under an ornament.

Never seen anything like that. We have kept and keep lots of them in a bare bottom tank with just moss and a piece of DW. I'd question getting any fish from somewhere they spasmed to death. Just sayin'. It definitely is not "normal" by any means.

Back
Top Bottom