lazy betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudeofrude

Aquarium Advice Addict
Over past few days ive noticed that my male betta keeps laying on a piece of rock I have at the bottom of my tank? Its always the same rock and the betta almost lays horizontal on it and doesn't move. I thought it was dead a few times. Any idea what it could be?

Sleeping, relaxing, bordome. How big is the tank? Also, for bettas, I put plastic of some kind in front of filter to block any current. Sometimes they get tired from swimming and just pass out on the floor of the tank

Its a 29g community tank which has a 500lph filter so the current is pretty strong but it been in there 3-4 months so it should be used ti it by now?? So is it normal for bettas to behave this way?

From what I've noticed my betta in my 55g sometimes he just enjoys chilling out on decorations plants or the sand. And the current is blocked off so swimming shouldn't be to big of an issue

It's normal behavior but if it wasn't normal for this paticular betta before, it may be cause for concern. What are your water parameters? Is the betta eating normally? Can it swim normally? Do you see any bloat to it's stomach?

siva said:
It's normal behavior but if it wasn't normal for this paticular betta before, it may be cause for concern. What are your water parameters? Is the betta eating normally? Can it swim normally? Do you see any bloat to it's stomach?

Everything seems to be fine, parameters are same as always. He just started doing it recently? I didnt know if it was a sign on age as ive read that bettas only live fir 12-18 months (dunno how much truth there is in that) ive had it about 4 months and it was in the shop fir at least 3 before I got it?

No they can live much much longer. If it was in a cup at that shop for several months it may have internal damage from toxins like ammonia and not be able to live a long life. This may just be it's normal behavior as it's settling in. One of my males just lays around all day. He's always been that way though. It is possible that as his fins grow he's having a more difficult time with the current. You could always try to baffle the filter and see if that helps. Otherwise if there's no other signs of something going wrong I wouldn't be concerned. :)

Back
Top Bottom