Lazy / Unhealthy Guppy.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rollasoc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have three male guppies in my 60L tank. Two appear fine, swimming all over the tank.

I've had these for about 6 months now.

Those two do whoever occasionally like to sleep on the bottom of the tank.

The third one, rarely moves. For the past month he mostly stays almost still at the top of the tank. He appears to look ok. He does not appear to be gasping for anything. Just appears lathargic

I have four marina coloured LED lights in the tank. These only get switched on in the evenings, during the day, I use the main light on the tank. In the last week, he has taken to just resting on the top of the lights during the day.

At feeding time, he comes out and eats. Swims about for a bit and then goes back to above the lights or to the top of the tank.

I'm taking daily water readings at the moment (as opposed to my normal twice weekly ones), and I have changed the water twice in the last week as a percaution. Ammonia levels are less than 0.25 (more yellow than yellow green), Nitrites are 0, Nitrates never get above 5. Temperature is 76 degrees. PH is 7.4.

I'm starting to worry about him. Any ideas / tips.

Are there any other fish in the tank? What filter are you using?

There are 2 shrimps, 1 oto, 2 white clouds and 5 neon tetras in the tank.

The filter is a Marina Slim type that came with the tank.

Yep, I know it should be zero.

With my API kit, I don't think I've ever had a reading that looked like the colours on the chart. Hence why I said it was more yellow than the 0.25 yellow green colour. It is erring more on yellow than green.

I was assuming the yellow green was 0. I will try the distilled water though to be sure. Thanks for that!

I have that problem in my one tank.
It's not quite brackish water, but does contain more salt than the others.
It's the only 1 I get a yellow-green reading. Which is 0 on the saltwater card. I Wouldn't think that it's enough salt to effect the test though? I am confident ammonia is 0.

Back
Top Bottom