leopard ctenopoma with weird spot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lornajane89

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all my fish has a raised white spot on its head as u can see. Could this be a parasite.. My corys are itching on the gravel occasionally.. Please check the pics and see what u think

ForumRunner_20121013_203419.jpg

ForumRunner_20121013_203433.jpg

ForumRunner_20121013_203449.jpg

ForumRunner_20121013_203502.jpg

He seems healthy, eating etc.. Params are all ok

Thanks
Dean

I'm not 100% sure but maybe hole in the head disease, my parents Betta got exactly the same thing and died :( I think the best thing to do is clean the substrate as thoroughly as you you can and do a 50% water change then I would slowly turn the heat up and treat with aquarium salt ( I use API brand ) and depending where you are from I would try antibiotics I have read that metronidazole is 1 of the most effective for treating this, hope this helps.

thanks for the reply, it could be that but i can only find pics of extreme cases and so far none look too similar, it looks more like a pimple with a white head, its raised and the scales around it are a little raised to, everything i found was like a picture of a physical hole in a fishes head, i dont think i can use salt cause of my loaches. ill double check tho,

thanks again tho
ill keep researching

No problem and that's exactly what the Betta had but we never found the cause :/ and what loaches do you have? I have used it with clown and khuli loaches with no bad effects but a lot of people use a lower dose with them.

It does look similar but without the redness. Ill just have to try salt i dont kno where i can get antibiotics for hith.. my other fish are julii cories and polka dot loaches.

Oh yea sorry I didn't realise you was from the uk, we can't get antibiotics here :( but I'm sure people have used salt with Julie cory and polka dot loaches... Maybe just a slightly lower dose to be safe. good luck, let me know if he recovers.

ive been told the 2 dont tolerate salt very wel,l but other sites ive found say they may not be affected badly by it, either way i think its a case of -if its the only solution then theyll have to put up with it- but ive just put another post up for general advice about salt use and a good essay about all the crap thats going or has gone wrong with this tank,

He seems ok at the minute hes got a hole in his head but the white stuff has gone and he doesnt seem to be getting any worse. Since then Ive lost my last female swordtail which looks like TB and now my last male has a bent tail and isnt lookin so good. I hope my tank isnt infected with TB cause i know its pretty much incurable... But the salt seems to have done the trick ill just keep up the pwcs and see how it goes. Ill not b getting any more fish now. If i lose them all ill strip and bleach the tank and start over.

Back
Top Bottom