Lethargic betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mii

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My betta seems to spend most of his time laying at the bottom of the tanks, and I don't know why. He looks perfectly healthy and has been living in the same tank with the same food for a few months although I did re decorate the tank somewhat recently. Nitrates are all good, water is very soft and acidic. The temperature is somewhere between 78 and 80 farenheit (I'm not quite sure as the heater and thermometer disagree by like two degrees). he just lies around a lot more than he used to. It's a 10 gallon with a few plants and a piece of wood that he can hide in if he wants to. Only tankmates are two nerite snails. Is the tank too bright? Would some floater plants help so he isn't in direct light all day?

Can u send us some pictures? Sometimes the filter position, if you have one, is creating a lot of current which bettas dislike.

I don't have a picture rn but he just looks like a normal betta, except he doesn't want to move as much as he did when I first got him.

Bettas need neutral water and can tolerate a mid range of heavy metals in the water column.

Also, lets think about this "animal"
Its a fish with more brain interactions than the majority of fish you can find in stores. They will learn your patterns, will recognize you, can be trained and can fight till its death, creates a nest of bubbles above the water and can learn behaviors. Might be that you need to stimulate your betta, if in a 10g without any other fish with not too much interaction they wont survive and depression will kill him. (Im not saying that by being a breeder but by nature and research)
My pet betta is trained and analyzed everyday for 30m-1h so i can stimulate brain activity. I also have plants and small snails as you can see in the pictures. This tank was suppose to be another farm but i added a fish in the cycle for study.
Make sure to:
Test your tap water before addjng conditioner to check whats in it already.

Too much light can be an issue in small tanks like 10g or even 20g. Im using a weak led light.

Stimulate him before feeding anthem, when u get his attention, you can start doing a specific (delicated) tap with your finger nail followed by food at the surface.

I hope this improve your ecossystem (;

IMG-20200703-WA0025.jpg

Back
Top Bottom