Lethargic Fish - Please Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WoopAhhh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've owned my 20-gallon tank for over a month now and have been reading and researching like crazy how to properly take care of fish.
My first fish were cheap Wal-Mart goldfish (I know, bad choice), but sadly they all died within the first week, which I believe was due to high ammonia levels.
I've treated the ammonia and it seems to be doing a lot better.

A week ago, I bought 3 fantail goldfish. They were doing wonderful. But now I'm starting to get worried. In the morning when I turn the tank light on, they all swim up and look healthy and happy (I'm assuming because they know that's when I'll feed them). And most of the time when I'm near the tank they seem to be healthy. But for a great deal of time they seem to be lethargic.

One goldfish of main concern (who appears to be the most sick) stayed in the bottom corner of the tank for most of the day and barely moved, yesterday. It looked pale and its fins were nearly pinned down. It would still rise up to eat, however. But it appears to be a bit bloated as if it were pregnant (which I highly doubt it is) and it seems to have to force its swimming every once in a while.

What I'm confused about is the fact that they all appear so healthy and happy one moment, but then appear lethargic the next.

I might just be worrying too much, like usual, but I would love some insight and advice.

Hi, did you cycle your tank? For water testing most members recommend the API freshwater master test. It's very accurate and easy to use. That sounds like your first issue...there is a way to prepare your tank called the "fishless cycle" that you will here about a lot on here...I can't remember exactly where on the forum it is, but if you search for fishless cycle it should pop up...it's the only safe way to start a tank, and will def save you heart ache later because your fish won't die...second 20g is way to small for three goldfish. They are a very dirty ( produce a lot of waste) fish...it is commonly said that the first goldfish should get 20 gallons, and then every fish after gets an extra 10 gallons...so with your stock right now, a 40 gallon would be the minimum...now, every rule has it's exceptions...but I think most people on here have come to this consensus...there is a member on here his name is Mr. Limpet he is a goldfish guru! I'm sure he could more than help you with your education, and point you in the right direction towards other goldfish enthusiasts :) good luck! I hope you enjoy the forum!! It's a great place, and there are many friendly people...don't be afraid to ask questions

I know 20g is too small, but my mom will not let me get a bigger one. I've tried explaining to her, but she doesn't listen. And she practically forces me to buy 3 fish at a time. If she had it completely her way, she would have put 6 goldfish in the 20g at one time.
Also, I would love to try the testing kit you recommended, but again, my mother won't let me buy it. So I'm stuck there. :[
But thanks for the fishless cycle advice; I'll read into that.

Oh those moms...how do they expect you to be confident when they don't help you succeed?! Ok, my melodramatic rant is over :)! Bettababe had a little head-butting with her mom too...perhaps you should discuss a compromise or something...she is gonna end up spending a lot more more money on fish if you dint get the right supplies...

I agree. I'll try to compromise, maybe try to make a bit of money on the side for better supplies.
For dealing with my ammonia issues, would you say I should do more water changes, since apparently the chemical was not the right way to go?

Ya! As mr limpet says on your other post I'd say do more than 50% and you're gonna have to do a lot of them...probably everyday! Do you have a dechlorinator (like prime)?

That's what were here for :) always feel free to ask questions! Best way to learn...next to experience

Yes, I just bought a new bottle yesterday, actually. I just got the water ready for change, and I'm going to let it adjust to room temperature over night. Thank you for the advice, you've been a lot of help!

WoopAhhhh said:
Yes, I just bought a new bottle yesterday, actually. I just got the water ready for change, and I'm going to let it adjust to room temperature over night. Thank you for the advice, you've been a lot of help!

Keep us updated! And the greatest advice I can give you is...everyone here loves to see pictures of your fish, and dont hesitate to ask...chances are someone has gone through it all ready!! Welcome to AA your new addiction :)

Picked up that you had another thread so figured I'd respond here too, althought the mods may merge them together.

First off 3 goldies in a 20g is way overstocked IOM. I'd suggest you keep doing 50-75% PWC (partial water changes) everyday or possibly 2x 50% PWC (1 in AM/1 in PM) till you can do something about getting 2 of them out of your tank. I have a school of danios in with my 3 goldies and they get along good, so maybe suggest to your mom to take 2 back and try and trade them for some danios or other fast swimming fish.

What kind of filter do you have on your system? You need lots of filtration for goldies. How often do you feed them? I'd suggest you feed them once every two days and don't worry you won't be starving them even if they act like it, they're moochers and pigs and would eat all day if they could lol.

I have mine in a 37g tall, a bit tight by my own standards but I filter for nearly 100g and that's just barely enough for me and do 25-50% PWC every 3-4 days. By observing my fish, I know they're happy so I'm fine with my setup, but it sounds like yours aren't too happy and that what you have to go by.

Let us know what happens and we're here to help anyway we can :D.

Good luck with mom!

Picked up that you had another thread so figured I'd respond here too, althought the mods may merge them together.

First off 3 goldies in a 20g is way overstocked IOM. I'd suggest you keep doing 50-75% PWC (partial water changes) everyday or possibly 2x 50% PWC (1 in AM/1 in PM) till you can do something about getting 2 of them out of your tank. I have a school of danios in with my 3 goldies and they get along good, so maybe suggest to your mom to take 2 back and try and trade them for some danios or other fast swimming fish.

What kind of filter do you have on your system? You need lots of filtration for goldies. How often do you feed them? I'd suggest you feed them once every two days and don't worry you won't be starving them even if they act like it, they're moochers and pigs and would eat all day if they could lol.

I have mine in a 37g tall, a bit tight by my own standards but I filter for nearly 100g and that's just barely enough for me and do 25-50% PWC every 3-4 days. By observing my fish, I know they're happy so I'm fine with my setup, but it sounds like yours aren't too happy and that what you have to go by.

Let us know what happens and we're here to help anyway we can :D.

Good luck with mom!
You're right; I really, really wish I knew that before I bought these fish. I'll try to get a bigger tank here soon. So you're saying I should swap fish? I really don't want to part with the ones I have now, but I guess I'll have to.. D:

I'm not sure what type of filter mine is, but it came with the tank, so I'm assuming it's not big enough for the goldfish. And I also feed them once a day, but I'll cut back on that too.

I've already started PWCs, and they seem to be doing a lot better.
Thanks for all of the advice!

WoopAhhhh said:
You're right; I really, really wish I knew that before I bought these fish. I'll try to get a bigger tank here soon. So you're saying I should swap fish? I really don't want to part with the ones I have now, but I guess I'll have to.. D:

I'm not sure what type of filter mine is, but it came with the tank, so I'm assuming it's not big enough for the goldfish. And I also feed them once a day, but I'll cut back on that too.

I've already started PWCs, and they seem to be doing a lot better.
Thanks for all of the advice!

I understand and it really isn't your fault, LFS will sell 3 goldies and a 10g together because that's what the picture on the box shows (I actually saw this happen at my Petco) :p. Chances are your filter is sized for your tank or less, since that's the norm in kits, which means your filtering for 1/2 your tank, when your really need double it up. Keep those PWC up, and if you don't already, I'd suggest you use Prime to cure your tap water and every 3rd day dose at 2x-3x the norm (2 drops per gallon=norm).

If you can get a bigger tank, that's the best solution but it sounded like it wasn't something your mom was up for. Short of that, trying to trade out a couple would be best for the fish and for you in the short term. Once you have a bigger (appropriate sized) tank, pick up a couple more because they do like company.

My Moors and danios have a great time together, the danios wiggle their tail fins in Dexter's face until he chases them and they just jet away lol. Also note that the danios have never tried to nip the Moors huge tail feathers and that's why I recommend those, but others may have additional suggestions.

I understand and it really isn't your fault, LFS will sell 3 goldies and a 10g together because that's what the picture on the box shows (I actually saw this happen at my Petco) :p. Chances are your filter is sized for your tank or less, since that's the norm in kits, which means your filtering for 1/2 your tank, when your really need double it up. Keep those PWC up, and if you don't already, I'd suggest you use Prime to cure your tap water and every 3rd day dose at 2x-3x the norm (2 drops per gallon=norm).

If you can get a bigger tank, that's the best solution but it sounded like it wasn't something your mom was up for. Short of that, trying to trade out a couple would be best for the fish and for you in the short term. Once you have a bigger (appropriate sized) tank, pick up a couple more because they do like company.

My Moors and danios have a great time together, the danios wiggle their tail fins in Dexter's face until he chases them and they just jet away lol. Also note that the danios have never tried to nip the Moors huge tail feathers and that's why I recommend those, but others may have additional suggestions.
Hmm.. Do you think a goldfish and a Moor would do well together, or would that not work?

WoopAhhhh said:
Hmm.. Do you think a goldfish and a Moor would do well together, or would that not work?

It can, but it's a goldie (Black Moor Fantail) and not something you should consider right now IMO. The danios are a great addition to a goldfish enviro IME.

It can, but it's a goldie (Black Moor Fantail) and not something you should consider right now IMO. The danios are a great addition to a goldfish enviro IME.
I'm sorry, I meant to say danios, haha.

Back
Top Bottom