Lethargic guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lgsmith17

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,
I have 3 female guppies and 2 African dwarf frogs in a 5.5 gallon tank, one of the female guppies has been very lethargic for about a week. She only sits at the bottom of the tank. She still has her appetite, but I'm very worried. All of the other tank inhabitants are fine, and I have done water changes as well. Please help!

Unfortunately I don't have the water parameters, but here is a picture

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 5.55.52 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 5.55.52 PM.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 61
Her tail/most of her body is resting on the gravel and she is not making any efforts to swim; she is just limp.

The tank has been set up since August and all of the inhabitants have been in the tank since. Her fins really don't look any different to me. The only conclusion that I have been able to come to is that she is bloated.

This picture is from two days ago, but it may be a little more clear.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 6.06.48 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 6.06.48 PM.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 69
Does the tank have any live plants in it if it doesnt you can look into putting some aquarium salt in it if you do do this make sure to do your water changes I like adding it giving it a day or so then doing a water change every other day 3 times then back to normal water changes this might not be necessary but I have live plants and this works for me if you dont have aquarium salt you can try and use pure epsom salt (no added ingredients for smell or anything like that) do the same thing for me they work around the same way but other people might know more about this than me I kinda got distracted. While typing this so If i missed something or it doesnt make sence I'm sorry for that

The tank has four plants in it. Do you think I still need to add salt?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 7.02.24 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 7.02.24 PM.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 55
Is that a filter in the back right if so can you send a better pic of it also does it agitate the surface alot it could be lack of oxygen in the water though not likely you never know

It is a filter. It does put a lot of air into the tank so I don't really think it is a lack of oxygen. The fact that only one guppy is acting this way leads me to believe it's not something that is bacterial or that could be spread. Do you think it is possible that she's just bloated?

Is she bloated or even slightly bigger in the stomach area?

Have you seen her poop and if so is it normal or white/clearish and stringy?

Has there been any changes in her color or anything forming on her skin?

Does she eat normally?

She is definitely slightly bigger in her stomach area. I have seen her poop, and the coloring is normal, but it has been stringy. Her coloring is still the same, and she still has her usual appetite. She just came out from under the hideout and I was able to capture a picture/video. Her swim has a crooked look to it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 8.04.38 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 8.04.38 PM.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 54
Back
Top Bottom