Lethargic guppy female, concerned!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tellurye

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
https://imgur.com/gallery/MhyLy

Hi all. I'm posting about my big guppy girl. She's been acting very lethargic - you wouldn't know from the pictures though! She perks up for food, but isn't ravenous like the rest of the guppies. When not feeding, she hides in the top corner, lays under the heater on the bottom, or just generally floats near the bottom swimming in place. No clamped fins - but do her gills look inflamed? I tried to take pictures to show her gills. She had ~6 fry 14 days ago. She acted this way prior to giving birth, and I only thought that was natural for pregnancy. But her behavior has continued post birth as well. I bought her from my LFS about 20 days ago. I acclimated her with the drip method, pouring out half the water in the bag 3 times while acclimating, over an hour period. Any educated advice would be greatly appreciated!

Now, about the tank itself. It's a 10 gallon tank I set up the day before I got her. Bought her with 11 guppies. One guppy male was rough right away, tattered tail and looked miserable and dying. I sadly put him out of his misery before he suffered anymore. All other fish have been fine, and still are.

I have 20 guppies and 2 RCS in the 10 gallon. About a 1:1 ratio male/female. Yes - I know it's very overstocked. Yes - I know it should be a 2 or 3 to 1 ratio female/male. No girls are being overly harassed by the males, and they're all pretty peaceful towards eachother. Most are full grown, with 3 or 4 juveniles.

I am a very experienced aquarist, and I instantly cycled the tank with filter media and gravel from my 5 year established 60 gallon. (You can still see the gravel sack hanging in the background lol)

I have a penguin 75 and an Aquaclear 30 running as my filters on the 10 gallon. My readings are 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, and 10 Nitrate. I test the water everyday since setting it up, and I do 30% water changes twice a week. I use Seachem Prime for water conditioner. I have a bubbler in there, a bunch of Java moss, and 1 piece of cholla wood. The flow is not too strong for the fish, they're all happy and none struggle to swim whatsoever. None have any signs of stress, and are all very active. All fry are transferred to a separate fry tank.

I feed them Hikari fancy guppy micro pellets very sparingly twice a day, and every few days a pinch of baby brine shrimp.

Please help! I've been looking online and can't pinpoint the problem. All posts I look at are very lethargic, very PREGNANT guppies. She isn't close to being that pregnant as you can see. I'm worried about her, and worried that whatever it is, that it's something my other guppies could get. I paid $$$ for some very nice fancy guppies in there! God forbid I lose them because of a generic female from my LFS. I mean I love her, but if she's gonna spread something, she's out. I do not have a quarantine tank unfortunately. That became a fry/shrimp tank lol.

Also, I can't find any information on when I can safely remove the gravel sack hanging in the back. I'm just worried that taking it out could cause a mini cycle or something? Any insight on that would be appreciated as well.

Thank you for reading and I look forward to your advice!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For removing the gravel sac I have read that carbon will start to grow bacteria after several weeks. So I'm guessing a few weeks at least.

Im very experianced with guppies too. And i hear what your saying. I just dont know. I have a 20 gallon tall with a pregant female that has been hanging by the fiter for a couple days. Sometimes they perk up, sometimes we gotta send them to fishy heaven if they dont, to save the colony!!!!!!
Hope it works out for her.
(maybe try and epsom salt bath and feed peas? Metro?) Maybe she just had a rough pregnancy. (thanks captain ovbious)

Im very experianced with guppies too. And i hear what your saying. I just dont know. I have a 20 gallon tall with a pregant female that has been hanging by the fiter for a couple days. Sometimes they perk up, sometimes we gotta send them to fishy heaven if they dont, to save the colony!!!!!!
Hope it works out for her.
(maybe try and epsom salt bath and feed peas? Metro?) Maybe she just had a rough pregnancy. (thanks captain ovbious)

Thanks, yes I have moved her to a makeshift hospital tank and have given her a salt bath. I guess I'll just monitor her. Hopefully she comes around. She was still hovering in the corner when I moved her.. who knows! The others seem just fine, so whatever she has, it doesn't seem to be contagious. Knock on wood. Thanks for the reply!

For the greater good, as they say!

And mine is fine today, with no sign of fry, so she must have just been constipated...
Often all guppies need for minor things is some salt, and maybe methylene blue and or an antibiotic
Try feeding her a pea maybe in the hospital tank, if anything...

Did it work?
I put mine in a breeder net with some salt, and low and behold, check her a couple hours later and a giant dead fry is floating in the net, and she is acting normal now. Just had a fry stuck in her.

Did it work?
I put mine in a breeder net with some salt, and low and behold, check her a couple hours later and a giant dead fry is floating in the net, and she is acting normal now. Just had a fry stuck in her.

Yes it did work, she's ok now! I think her biggest problem was stress. None of my other fish were affected from the overstocking except her. She's now rehomed in the fry tank until I get a new 20 gallon next week. She seems to be ok with a few little babies around her lol.

Back
Top Bottom