Lionhead/Ranchu with white patches appearing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lesleyj77

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Guys,

I am new to the site and this is my first post, so apologise in advance for anything that is mis-spelt or doesnt make sense.

I am having some issues with my black lionhead (as told to me by the shop) i think he looks more like a ranchu, anyway wandering off topic.

A few months a go he got a white patch, a bit like cotton wool on the front of his head. I used a treatment in the tank and it went away. The treatment didnt do any harm to my other fish a Ryukin or my apple snails.
The problem being is its back, but on the side of him. It is only him that is affected with it. So i bought Tetra Medica General Tonic, as it wont kill my snails, and it has left his side, sort of leaving behind a white residue, but has reappeared on his head again. So i have used the tonic again.
I cant seem to find out what it is.
I have a 90lt fish box tank, stone gravel, i dont have any recordings of my water (bad me). I have done as suggested water changes and removed the carbon filters due to the treatment but nothing so far.

I will also mention i have a new 330lt tank coming tomow for the fish to go into, i would prefer disease free.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Hi and welcome!
Can you post a picture?
It would be advisable to get your water tested with a liquid (not strips) test kit.
Is the tank cycled?
How often do you do water changes and how much?
Do you change your filter media? (no no!)

Hi and welcome to AA!!! As suggested by Mumma, we really need alot more info in order to be able better help you! If you dont have an API/other liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, & ph, you really need to invest in one as soon as possible! I suspect water quality issues may be the causative factor in what is ailing your goldie. Poor water quality stresses fish & lowers their immune system making them suseptible to opportunistic infections (such as bacterial or fungus). Pics would def help as well! :)

Back
Top Bottom