listless shibunkins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkruse

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I came home today to find 4 of my 6 shibunkins lying on the bottom. They will come to the surface to eat, then they go to the bottom and just lie there like they are tired. I checked the levels and the nitrate is just a little high, but all the others were fine. I have had these fish for 2 years with no problem. One has small black dots on his nose, but he has had this for the past six months. After treating them for ich when he first got it, and it made no changes, I just left him alone. As a relative beginner to the fish world, I am at a loss as to what to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

anything unusual about the fish? do they look bloated? are their scales sticking out when you look at them from the top? My goldfish had that behaviour for 2 weeks before they got dropsy. What size tank?

anything unusual about the fish? do they look bloated? are their scales sticking out when you look at them from the top? My goldfish had that behaviour for 2 weeks before they got dropsy. What size tank?

[center:ea5d3a3577] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, mkruse! :n00b: [/center:ea5d3a3577]

Do you know what the life span is of shibunkins? Google them and take a look at sites with fish profiles of them, or check www.liveaqua.com, they have general fish profiles.

Can you give the measurements for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

If they are behaving oddly, then the first thing I would do is of course test the water, and then do frequent partial water changes, as it is very likely a water quality issue.

Sorry I have not gotten back to you. My computer has been down. In the meantime, all of my fish, shibunkins, algae eater, bala sharks, all have succombed and died. 3Different aquariums. They all just hung on the bottom but they still had an appetite. Their scales looked okay for awhile, then began to get a film over their bodies. When their eyes clouded over, they would die within 24 hours. I used Melafix to doctor them with, but it only worked on 1 fish. My betta was in with the sharks and had the same symptoms. I put him in a small goldfish bowl and doctored him separately. He has made a full recovery and eating very well. I give up. I have sanitized all my tanks with bleach running through fresh water for several days. I boiled the bottom gravel. Hopefully, this will make my tank safe for new fish. Thank you for interest.

Yikes! How did I miss your response? Sorry to hear about that - how devastating.

Your treatment for the tank sounds good, and I hope that will be the end of that.

Back
Top Bottom