Little holes in my angel fish cheeks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Made.escamilla

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 3 angels and 5 more very little fishies. I started my tank (10 gls) about 4 months ago and everything was ok, my angels grew a lot and I was super excited! Until 2 days ago, when I noticed this holes on one of my angel's cheeks, also he wasn't eating, and is just floating there with his head pointed to the surface of the water, the other 2 touch it or swim nearby and it doen't react or jump or hide (so I don't thing its being bullied).. I already took it out and put him in a quarentine little tank with one drop of blue methylene, but I don't know what happened, or what to do! Can some one tell me what's wrong with my fish?

Pictures might help with figuring out what's wrong. Do you know your water parameters?

Your tank is way too small for angelfish. A 29 gallon is generally the absolute minimum for angelfish, and with three of them in a tank that small, if two form a pair, they will kill every other fish in the tank.

Picture!

Don't know what the water parameters are! :ermm:
Didn't know the tank was to small! This guy at pet store told me I could even have 5! :facepalm:
And I absolutely didn't know angels ate other fish! :confused:

Wish people working at pet stores knew better! They didn't tell me any of these, just told me these were good, easy to keep and clean fishes! Ugh!

Last edited:
People at pet stores will often lie because people will buy more and fish are seen as disposable. Angelfish can live for up to 15 years. Much more money in it if the fish store can talk you into poor fish care so that you'll go back and buy more stuff to "fix" problems.

Don't worry, we all make mistakes and we all start somewhere. The fish that got me into fishkeeping were clown loaches- I got two of them for a 26 gallon tank. They get over a foot long and need 125 gallon tanks! The important thing is you're getting help and getting better :D

Angelfish also don't tend to eat most other fish, but they are very very protective parents, so when they pair off and lay eggs they will kill other fish. They will eat very small fish.

I recommend purchasing an API freshwater master test kit. Should cost around $30 but it's one of the most critical tools in fishkeeping. My theory on what is wrong with your angelfish has to do with your nitrate levels- but I need you to do a nitrate test to find out. In the meantime I recommend doing a big water change (around 40-50%) and keep doing that every few days. That will keep the water clean and potentially help your fish's health improve.

I can't see the picture. Maybe try uploading it to photobucket or imgur and posting a link here? Photo uploading on this site can be a pain.

Cant attach the images!

I have the images and attach them to the message, but then when I see the post it has no images why?

Can you see the images?

I have the images and attach them to the message, but then when I see the post it has no images why?

Can you see the images?

This site is a pain about uploading images. I recommend uploading to imgur or photobucket or something like that and then posting a link here.

Omg! What did you do with those huge fishes? Hahaha
Ok, I'll go and buy the test, I wish I lived in the states! here in mex those kits are super expensive :( but oh well!
I'm still trying to upload the images!
And should I put my angel back in the tank? Right now it is in a separate tank...

I ended up buying a huge tank because I liked them so much! They're still some of my favorite fish, I have like a dozen fish that are a related species :)

Make sure that you get a kit that has bottles of liquid. Test strips are highly inaccurate compared to the liquid test kits.

I would keep the angel separate in case it's a contagious issue. I don't suspect that, but it's possible it's some kind of infection that could spread.

Here are the links to my angel and tank photos, hope you can see these..
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I went to the pet store and they gave me the following recomendations

Put the fish back in the aquarium.
Take out the carbon filter.
Pour in the medicine (2 capsules), it doesn't have a name but it contains "metronidazol and praziquantel". Wait for 48 hrs and do it again, wait 48 hrs and then place the filter again.
Buy a bigger aquarium as soon as possible.

They told me I should notice some difference after a couple of days 3:
And as I told you, I asked for the testing kit and it is $100 dlls :eek:

What do you think :confused:

My angel died

Yesterday in the afternoon my angel passed :(

Thanks for your help, the only good thing about this is I learned a couple of things... Hope the other ones will be fine...

Greetings! :fish2:

To be honest, the hole there looks so clean I almost want to think it was genetic. But for that you'd have to hear from one of the angelfish experts around here.

Sorry for your loss :(

Order your test kit online. It seems Itll save ya alot of $

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Bigger tank, did you cycle the tank before you added them, do you do weekly water changes? Also if you're going to get a bigger tank with more than just angels make sure you don't get a female males will be calm in a community tank without a female, but when they start breeding they will be aggressive to your other fish which causes stress, and if you go with another type of fish and they are schooling fish if your pet store says you only need 2-3 i would turn around and walk out. Especially with the barb species where you needed double digits. Schooling fish need 5-6+

Sent from my SM-G920P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom