loaches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

urville

Aquarium Advice Freak
i was considering with my sand substrate, on getting a loach to sir things up. at first i considered a horse faced but they get soooo big.
i hear mixed things about dojo's
i cant remember what they are called but i like the snake like brown loaches with gold bands. who sifts sand other than mts?

any opinions?
corys?

Cories and loaches are not sand sifters IMO and IME. The snake-like loaches are khuli loaches and grow 3-4" and are the cutest little guys! Snails are probaly your best bet, but you don't HAVE to have them. You can shift the sand with your fingers when you do your weekly water changes.

oooo-eee!!! Horseface loaches!! I love mine! They are the coolest!

I have heard everything from 4"-6" adult size...this size, from what I can see from my 3" ones that I have is all length...they are not a "thick" fish.

When I first put them in my tank (I have sand substrate) they hid in the sand for hours! Now, they mostly hang out on the surface, or in the flowerpot or in the coconut hut. Whenever I walk over to the tank, they slip into the sand so fast that it's like, poof! they're gone! (lol, if I don't want them to hide, I crawl over). When they eat, they filter the gravel and food...the gravel comes out their gills and the food goes down, so they are constantly stirring up the gravel.

What size tank do you have and what are the other inhabitants?

Here's a link to mine: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=31709

And here's a link to one of mine hiding in the sand: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=31713&highlight=peekaboo

actually i ahve a 30 and a 10 refug and then another tn with sand
my inhabs in the 30, thats the tank i'm considering the horseface for
i have 2 neon tetras, 2 serpaes, 2 plecos one bristle nose, one rubber, and some amano<i think> shrimp
not much right now

i have plants though, do you anticipate this being a problem for me?
also, i used Quikcrete premium playsand from HD. rinsed extremely well i only have about 1 1/2 right now. too corase or sharp, no one else seems to mind.

i was considering burying a plastic tube near the front so any burrowing fish of which i have none right now, could hide in there and yet still be seen. just an idea.

Menagerie said:
psst...it's L not I

LMW80 L=Lori
:oops:
Sorry, now that I know what it stands for, I will remember!

it's ok...I have spelled your name wrong in the past!

urville - I have a planted aquarium, and so far, with the loaches, it has not been a problem at all. I have a rubberlip pleco who gets along just fine with the horseface loaches.

The plastic tube/pvc which you mention sounds like a great idea as well.

Back
Top Bottom