Loaches and nitrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been super busy the past few weeks and went from weekly to bi weekly water changes with chemicals in my to offs.
Today I came home from working on one of my apartments all day to a dead clown loach. The other very sick.
Both had that white slimy look. I instantly jumped to water quality and slime coats.
Everything looked good but nitrates were at 40.
Did a 50% change and added prime, some easy balance as with every change, stress coat and some melafix just for hopes sake.

My real question is would this jump in only nitrates do this to two healthy loaches?
No other fish seem worried.

Sent from my Pixel C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not really no. 40ppm is quite high but, I think it works as a spawning trigger with clown loach.
What else is in the tank?
How big is the tank?
How big are your loaches?
(You really should have more than 2, 5 or more)
Just the numbers you have could cause stress..........

I am with J.
I will add the addition of ;
some easy balance as with every change, stress coat and some melafix just for hopes sake.
Seems like trouble or at least unnecessary IMO ...
Do another 50% today to get down to 10 and see how fast the level rises in the next week...

If your tank is not large[4 foot min] possibly another loach is better for your tank?

I am with J.
I will add the addition of ;
some easy balance as with every change, stress coat and some melafix just for hopes sake.
Seems like trouble or at least unnecessary IMO ...
Do another 50% today to get down to 10 and see how fast the level rises in the next week...

If your tank is not large[4 foot min] possibly another loach is better for your tank?

Easy balance is just supposedly bacteria good water changes like a safe start though, no?
I figured melafix might just help with their stress and sound like the stress coat that I put in with my water changes.
It's only a 30 buy they are small is very planted and they were going to be moved to my 55 soon.
Nothing ever bothered them and they seemed fine. They were in there for months now.
The second one passed. I will wait until the tank swap to get a couple more

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom