Loaches shouldn't be this fat... should they?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Supadoopa101

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I've got a 30 gallon tank with an 8 inch weather loach (Luigi the Loach!), a freshwater angel, a giant danio, and a black skirt tetra. The tank has been established for about 3 years now, and I got Luigi about a year and a half ago. He has since become my favorite fish because he actively loves coming up to the top when I'm near, even sucking at and perching on my open palm if I hold it out for him (yes, I know about slime coats and I'm careful about his).

Over the last 6 months, Luigi has gone from what I would describe as 'lean and fit' to having 'a little pooch' to now being 'full beer belly.' At first I blamed it on his VORACIOUS appetite (he will literally always eat as much as possible whenever possible- Omega One Freshwater Flakes), but now I'm getting concerned about it. I've attached a bunch of pictures.

One other question. He has a lesion on his dorsal side near his tail fin. I'm thinking he got a scrape on either a rock or he got stuck between the filter intake snorkel (over hanging filter + second in-tank filter). I made a paint image with an arrow for that.

The tank is kept at around 75 degrees year round, with very little fluctuation. I do about a quarter water change once a week, and use Seachem Prime on new water (tap). The water parameters are all good, with all ammonia products in good levels (I can't remember the pH off the top of my head but it has never been an issue).

Let me know what you guys think, or if you need more information. Also, he IS a male.... right?

Attachments

• 20170502_213533.jpg
    20170502_213533.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 20170502_213606.jpg
    20170502_213606.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 20170502_213604.jpg
    20170502_213604.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Luigi FAT.jpg
    Luigi FAT.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 96
Yes, I see what you mean - the beer belly doesn't look right to me. Does he swim normally? The lesion should hopefully improve, if it gets worse I would treat.

Back
Top Bottom