long white feces from my Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jharvey

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi folks - My Molly (who was sold to me as a male but I'm pretty sure is female and pregnant) has been having long poops that stay attached to her for quite a while. It otherwise looks normal (color, texture) so I assumed it was constipation and tried a day of fasting but it didn't seem to help and I tried putting in a cooked, shelled pea but no one touched it.

Today she had it again except this time the poop is all white. It has since fallen off so I don't have a picture to post. Is this a parasite? What do I do?

Tank: Since January: 10 gal, pH 7.8, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5ppm nitrates, 76 degrees F, gravel substrate, 5 plants, HOB filter.
tankmates: 1 male molly, 3 zebra danios, 1 mystery snail
I do weekly 10% water changes with water treated with seachem prime.
I haven't had any problems with any of my fish before now. I did put in a quarter tab of a tums in my water changes for a couple of weeks (because my snail's shell was cracking and the lfs recommended it) but stopped that a couple of weeks ago. I also gave one algae pellet as a treat once a week for a couple of weeks but think it made my nitrate levels go up and realized I really don't need it.

Is the poop long, stringy and clear? Could be a internal parasite

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what you mean by stringy. It's one long segment and seems similar in texture to what I've seen in all the fish. But today it was definitely white - perhaps somewhat transparent.

If it is a parasite, is there a treatment? Do I need to quarantine her? I don't have a qt :(

Would look like regular poop, but clear an thread like stringy poo

Yes this is a sign of camallanus worms.
Look for dewormer and be prepared for a long battle that may not
even end with sucess..........

Maybe. Try api general cure

Or just get straight prazipro......
General cure is a good choice too tho because its antibiotic properties....
Mollies dont get HOITH* but they can get gut bad bacteria that might cause the stringy poo, but unlikely.

*this statement is a personal opinion of mine currently and has not been validated by anyone.

Yes this is a sign of camallanus worms.
Look for dewormer and be prepared for a long battle that may not
even end with sucess..........

Camallanus is something completely different, you can see small red works by the fish's vent. I don't think it is this. If it is camallanus, Levamisole is the only product out there, and does the job.

Or just get straight prazipro......

General cure is a good choice too tho because its antibiotic properties....

Mollies dont get HOITH* but they can get gut bad bacteria that might cause the stringy poo, but unlikely.

*this statement is a personal opinion of mine currently and has not been validated by anyone.

Prazipro treats Gill flukes/worms and tapeworms, flatworms... Not internal parasites.

I'd go with Tetra ParasiteGuard it contains a variety of medicine in one tablet and should wipe out the parasites.

Camallanus is something completely different, you can see small red works by the fish's vent. I don't think it is this. If it is camallanus, Levamisole is the only product out there, and does the job.

Prazipro treats Gill flukes/worms and tapeworms, flatworms... Not internal parasites.

I'd go with Tetra ParasiteGuard it contains a variety of medicine in one tablet and should wipe out the parasites.
This i know
But since we dont know exactly what
Parasiteguard is pretty much the same thing as general cure

Can you post a picture, I can confirm pregnancy. I have had many pregnant guppy lately, I can see if I can see whether or not. If, I remember correctly, my guppy had white poop before giving birth sometime a few days later! She is fine and still alive and has 3 batches of fry, with a total of somewhere around 70 babies!

Thank you for the offer! I somehow never saw your post. I never saw any fry - but maybe she dropped some and they were eaten before I saw them? Or maybe I was just wrong. The dark spot does seem to be gone now, though. I'll post a picture next time!

Hi folks - My Molly (who was sold to me as a male but I'm pretty sure is female and pregnant) has been having long poops that stay attached to her for quite a while. It otherwise looks normal (color, texture) so I assumed it was constipation and tried a day of fasting but it didn't seem to help and I tried putting in a cooked, shelled pea but no one touched it.

Today she had it again except this time the poop is all white. It has since fallen off so I don't have a picture to post. Is this a parasite? What do I do?

Tank: Since January: 10 gal, pH 7.8, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5ppm nitrates, 76 degrees F, gravel substrate, 5 plants, HOB filter.
tankmates: 1 male molly, 3 zebra danios, 1 mystery snail
I do weekly 10% water changes with water treated with seachem prime.
I haven't had any problems with any of my fish before now. I did put in a quarter tab of a tums in my water changes for a couple of weeks (because my snail's shell was cracking and the lfs recommended it) but stopped that a couple of weeks ago. I also gave one algae pellet as a treat once a week for a couple of weeks but think it made my nitrate levels go up and realized I really don't need it.

While you medicate with the other recommended stuff (sorry no suggestions as to what to use. :-() You should try feeding a deshelled pea that's been cooked in the microwave for about 10-15 seconds. Let it cool. Instead of dropping in the entire thing, try taking of teeny tiny segments and feed them off the end of a toothpick. That's how I feed my danios and plates. They seem to except the peas best that way. Also, try soaking the peas in a bit of garlic. It is more enticing to fish and boosts their immune system... Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom