Long White String of Feces

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nerdelish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I noticed a string of feces almost as long as the fish coming out of one of my female guppies today. What on earth is going on?

Attachments

• 20150920_180544.jpg
    20150920_180544.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 20150920_180645.jpg
    20150920_180645.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 52
If I remember correctly, white stringy poo is an indication of parasites.

Someone feel free to agree or correct me on that.

Caleb

If it's parasites how do you know when to use metro and when to use prazi?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If it's parasites how do you know when to use metro and when to use prazi?

I've heard conflicting info. Both have good results but I've heard metro is a bit more aggressive with a higher success rate.

Caleb

Ok. I have never used either and I was curious how to know which to use.

I have Prazipro on hand so I might use that instead....once I get a second opinion. I also have some Levamisole HCL.

Anyone else have ideas about what is going on?

Stringy white feces is a great indication of a digestive issue but it does not always mean internal parasites, what your actually seeing is the lining of the intestinal track. This irritation can be caused by stress, improper diet, low quality foods, and of course internal parasites. So the treatment is not a one size fits all I'm afraid.

As mentioned if its truly spironucleus vortens or other parasites then ingestion of any medication is by far the most effective treatment, this can be medicated flakes from Angels(my first choice) because they are soft and easily digested which the fish prefers over a harder pellet(even soaked still harder than flakes), pellets soaked in a 3% Epsom salt solution, or a water born treatment such as Clout if the fish is refusing foods.

I would not worry about medicated foods or other medications at this time if they're all eating, watch the feces and go from there in my opinion.

Stringy white feces is a great indication of a digestive issue but it does not always mean internal parasites, what your actually seeing is the lining of the intestinal track. This irritation can be caused by stress, improper diet, low quality foods, and of course internal parasites. So the treatment is not a one size fits all I'm afraid.

As mentioned if its truly spironucleus vortens or other parasites then ingestion of any medication is by far the most effective treatment, this can be medicated flakes from Angels(my first choice) because they are soft and easily digested which the fish prefers over a harder pellet(even soaked still harder than flakes), pellets soaked in a 3% Epsom salt solution, or a water born treatment such as Clout if the fish is refusing foods.

I would not worry about medicated foods or other medications at this time if they're all eating, watch the feces and go from there in my opinion.

I'll take your advice and keep an eye on things.

I feed the fish 6/7 days a week. I alternate NLS pellets, Omega One Flakes, Omega One freeze dried bloodworms, and Hakari freeze dried brine shrimp.

The guppy did just give birth a few days ago, could that have triggered anything?

I'll take your advice and keep an eye on things.

I feed the fish 6/7 days a week. I alternate NLS pellets, Omega One Flakes, Omega One freeze dried bloodworms, and Hakari freeze dried brine shrimp.

The guppy did just give birth a few days ago, could that have triggered anything?

If the fish in question are eating I would simply keep an eye out as stress or diet is more than likely the culprit here and not internal parasites. I'm not a bloodworm fan, I know a lot of folks use them but I don't. They have a exoskeleton that is hard to digest/process and could potentially get stuck in the intestinal tracks irritating the walls resulting in digestive problems. I would stick with NLS and the flakes and call it a day.

Back
Top Bottom