Looks like ammonia burns but can't be

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackberry75

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm wiling to accept I'm wrong, but I test before and after every water change, there's no ammonia in my tap water, and I change water frequently. It was only one fish so I moved him to the hospital tank, but last night I noticed it on the tail of another fish and moved them as well. The filter is cycled, I used the old filter's media when I switched to the canister a few months ago and tested daily until I was sure bb had established.

1~What type of fish is afflicted? Goldfish. He's turning black like he has ammonia burns and being either lethargic or twisting\flashing around the tank

2~What are your tank parameters (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites,5ppm nitrates,74 temp, 7.6 pH, 4kh, 8gh)? These are the numbers before every water change for the past few months. I test regularly because the tank is over stocked.

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? 65g and been set up for several months

4~What type of filtration are you using? Polar aurora 525, supposedly 525gph according to manufacturer

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? 10 fish total. 6 goldfish ranging in size from 4 to 7 inches, pleco 4in, 3 platy 1in

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? Today
How often do you do this? 2 or 3 times a week How much water do you remove at a time? 25-75% depending on how messy the bottom looks

7~How long have you had the fish? Almost a year

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? Leaf Zone once a week for the plants which I stopped as soon as I noticed the fish turning black

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? They get a varied diet of flakes, pellets, fresh veg, and diy gel food

I know there are too many fish in this tank, but they came to me in a 29g. The 65 was the largest I could afford when the 29 sprung a leak. It was supposed to be a temporary situation that became a permanent one. I even lined up a pond to take the goldfish to come spring but that fell through.

Yesterday I scored a 180 that needs some serious cleaning and I bought a 110g stock tank (that leaks and I have to exchange). So plans are in the works to properly care for the fish.

Just a thought - is any other chemical burn possible? E.g. I’ve accidentally (and really unfortunately) done that with H2O2. Apart from household products accidentally getting into buckets, etc; also heard of issues with water running over rubber (or rubber tubing - can’t quite remember).

Just a thought - is any other chemical burn possible? E.g. I’ve accidentally (and really unfortunately) done that with H2O2. Apart from household products accidentally getting into buckets, etc; also heard of issues with water running over rubber (or rubber tubing - can’t quite remember).
Possibly. It's definitely worth looking into.

Unfortunately both fish passed and another is losing their color, which is a different symptom from the other two. I have no clue what's wrong with my tank. My only hope is that the water changes get rid of whatever the problem is. My parameters are steady, but there's an hundred other things that could be wrong that I'm not testing for.

Possibly. It's definitely worth looking into.

Unfortunately both fish passed and another is losing their color, which is a different symptom from the other two. I have no clue what's wrong with my tank. My only hope is that the water changes get rid of whatever the problem is. My parameters are steady, but there's an hundred other things that could be wrong that I'm not testing for.

Sounds like your on top of testing, etc so bacterial is always a suspect for me and I’ve seen the odd case where tap water is the issue (changed treatment method by water company or nearby earthworks). Just tossing them out :)

Sounds like your on top of testing, etc so bacterial is always a suspect for me and I’ve seen the odd case where tap water is the issue (changed treatment method by water company or nearby earthworks). Just tossing them out :)
OMG I didn't even put 2 and 2 together! I've noticed a change in the taste of our water but it's like this every spring.

Fudge.

OMG I didn't even put 2 and 2 together! I've noticed a change in the taste of our water but it's like this every spring.

Fudge.

Could be worth a check. Ours changes every spring or first heat wave as well.

I think it was a New Zealand tank of goldfish - got worse every water change and turned out to be change in treatment plant. I’m not sure though and would think pretty rare. Just seeing if anything sticks.

Back
Top Bottom