Looks like I'm loosing my swordtail...need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocket2001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I lost a zebra danio two weeks ago to mouth fungus and treated with Mela fix for a week...then did a 25% water change. All the fish seemed fine. Now two weeks later my male pineapple swordtail is in distress.
All day he had been hiding and breathing very,very heavy. Now he's resting on the bottom continuing to breath very,very heavily. He doesn't show any sign of injury or any other problems. He doesn't look as if he's going to make it. Last water check showed: Alk: 120 pH: 7.8 Nitrite : .5 Nitrate: 20 ppm Ammonia .25 Hardness 75... That was last Sat. and i plan on testing water tommorow at LFS. Keep in mind my tank is still cycling I passed five weeks yesterday.

My first thought is to do an imediate water change of 20%.. I hesitate to do this because the tank isn't fully cycled but I don't have any other ideas. And I don't think the fish has much more time.

any ideas?

i don't think the water change would hurt rocket,, i've seen differing views, i've also seen the advice of dropping the water level to agitate the surface water for increased oxygenation or the addition of an air stone, this is the hardest thing to deal with in my opinion cause ya can't see the ailment. Got a little trouble of my own at the moment AAARRRGG hope all turns out well, how big is the tank?

Glasstapper, I saw your topic...wish i had any advice but I don't know enough yet..hope your issue works out...i just completed the 20% water change. I decided to isolate the fish in a small betta bowl i have and i medicated the water with Melafix just in case the fungus is back..hhis breathing is better so we'll see how the night goes

i had read that in some cases, a distressed fish does well in less water , so that was a suggestion i was gonna make but,, a distressed fish will become more so when moved,, how are you filtering the bowl? or are you gonna change water from the big tank each day ?

In the case of measurable nitrite I would do water changes on a daily or every other day basis - just tiny amounts. Salt and increased aeration help in nitrite poisoning, which is what sounds like is going on. Good luck, and keep us posted.

I isolated the fish in a small betta bowl mixed 1/2 tank water with 1/2 new water and put a drop of Mela-fix in...I woke up this morning...the fish was dead.

I also did a 20% water change on the main tank last night..i'm off to the LFS to test the water today and see whats going on. (I've got to get my own test kit)

Back
Top Bottom