Losing fish one at a time...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

equinecpa

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 30 gallon hex aquarium started in September. The water parameters all test OK : Ammonia -0, nitrites - 0 , nitrates -5-10, Ph-8.0, temperature about 75. I do water changes regularily but have not done one since 12/22 due to being away.

I had 2 ottos, 2 small clown loaches, 3 angels and a betta.

Everything was going well despite a huge algae bloom due to this being a planted tank and me not being able to get tank balanced (nitrates, light and co2). Algae bloom is under control now, and the water is crystal clear.

The first fish to die was an otto after I had him about 6 weeks (I had heard that ottos can be difficult, so I just credited this to an unhealthy specimen). Then a clown loach died at christmas ( I thought maybe because my hubby dropped a nail in the tank and didn't notice?). Now I have an angel lieing on his side. So that means I have lost 2 fish and now a 3rd is on the way out in a months time.

I did add Jungle tabs for fin rot this week because the betta has a bad case and one of the angels looks like his fins are a bit tattered. The betta has improved drastically.

The angel that is dieing was bought at the same time as my other pair and has always looked poorer than the others, the others have doubled or tripled in size and are bigger than a silver dollar (including fins they are about 7-8 inches tall), whereas he has only grown a bit (maybe 3-4 inches tall). His fins have always been bent up. Could it be that he just had something wrong with him?

I'll do a water change once the fin rot stuff has worked its course (4 days, I put it in on Monday so I should be able to do a water change tomorrow, Friday)

I'd like to get more fish as the tank is looking a bit sparse but want to fix whatever is causing these deaths before I do that! The angel that is dieing does not have fin rot, nor did the other two fish that died. They all pretty much died without symptons. How long should I wait before adding more fish?

Carolyn

Hey Carlolyn. Sorry about your fish losses but IMO, even with the best of care fish will die. Yes, to your question about something being inherently wrong with the angel. At least it's likely. This is especially true where fish have been bred in captivity it's the result of inbreeding.

I'd watch the tank for awhile and if no more fish succumb in say 2 weeks, go ahead and add another fish and see what happens. JMO

Do they get thin and lethargic before they die? Are their gills inflamed? Could be gill flukes. They can cause a long term pattern of death like that and ottos can be carriers.

I would pull the angel and place it in a QT tank. If there is an infection and the other fish eat/peck at it, it could spread. More than likely, it is just a sickly fish. I would wait 2-4 weeks after the angel fish passes or recovers before adding any new fish. Of course, if any other fish get ill, do not add more fish. If you do not have a QT tank, now is a good time to invest in one. Not only are they great to treat medical emergencies, but QTing incoming fish can save an entire tank of fish you love.

The fish actually look normal before they die. The angel has passed - they die very quickly. I really think there might have been something wrong with this angel from the very beginning. I do not have a qt tank for my freshwater tank. I don't plan on adding a whole lot more to this tank.

I'll wait a bit and see how everything goes. Everything that's left except the betta look great in the tank.

Carolyn

Fish deaths

I just posted about a couple of fish losses I've had in the last month in the unhealthy fish forum and just thought I'd pick some brains here. I thought I was doing well, I had no losses from September when I first added fish until December. Since the middle of December I have lost 3 fish.

In you experiences, in an established tank do you still have fish die fairly regularily? Is it pretty common for new additions that survive the initial acclimatization to die after a month or two without any apparent illness? My water parameters all test great. I'll be watching the remaining fish closely, all the fish except a betta with fin rot look great - good color,active and good growth and appetite.

Carolyn

Anyone have any links to pictures of fish with gill flukes? I have done a search but all I seem to find is pictures of the flukes under a microscope, I'd like to see what an infected fish looks like.

My clown loach has pink cheeks, I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

Carolyn

Hmmm...good link but it says no photos because it's hard to see gill flukes. :(

In looking at pictures of other clown loaches I don't think the red cheeks are normal, would it hurt anything to treat with Jungle Parasite Clear Buddies if indeed I don't have gill flukes? I treated the tank about a week ago with the Jungle Fungus Buddies to treat the Betta who has fin rot. Betta seems more active and I don't see further rot, but how do I tell if it is really gone?

Carolyn

good link but it says no photos because it's hard to see gill flukes.
Sorry, I didn't look since most of those pics are so gross.

Fin rot on bettas is hard to treat. Some bettas will get fin rot if you look at them sideways. Clean water is the best med for fin rot :D
I would go with a med that can be added to the food.
Here's an intense link that may help:
http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/fish_diseases/gill_disorders.html

Back
Top Bottom