lost my plec today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hisc1ay

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I don't know why...should I have been feeding more? I used to think it was ugly, but it started to grow on me. I think it was a sailfin, cuz it looked like it could have been...I think I'm in denial tho.

Anyone have some plec care tips for the future? My guppies and new fry are all doing fine (as are the snails), but the plec was upside-down and rigid. :?:

-j

Sorry to hear that His,
no special care from my side, but I do give the occasional algae waffers, say every second or third day, also once a week for a treat I give some par boiled zuccihini.

I lost a pleco in January with no visible signs of distress. I'm thinking it got hit by ich, but I really don't know what caused the fish to die. Sort of hard to kill a pleco.

I agree with Somethingfishy. give the pleco the Algae wafers and zuccihini.
Also to help with fiber a piece of drift wood helps.
Just my oppinion but the expensive plecos are just for looks go with the cheap ones they my not look as nice but last alot longer.

Can a fish get ich and not show it?

I wish I could tell what happened, but I'm also comforted to know I'm not the only one.

Somethingfishy, is the algae wafer just a tablet of algae to eat? What, I'm trying to keep algae out of my tank, and I would willingly put some in?! Sounds backwards! :ROFLMAO: (I know it's not the same...I'm kidding)

-j

Yes it is a wafer I use the following ones, but I do try various ones to try and get a feel for the ones that my pl*cos and other veg eating fish would like and so far these are their favourites:
http://www.petsmart.com/fish/shopping/fish_top_sellers/products/product_20458.shtml

It does sound a bit backward I know, but the fish love it. Everytime I put in a wafer, I generaly have to put in a couple more than I would normally as ALL my other veggie eating fish snap them up before they hit the ground. But you will also find they love the zucchini as well.

PS as an after thought did you test your water?

Hmm...no I didn't test my water, and I probably wouldn't have thought to do so. I found him as I was getting ready for work, so no time for diagnosis, but I will do that when I get home. It was good last week.

As an aside, how often do you all test your ammonia and nitrite? Is once a week necessary?

I do have to clean out my filter, so that's another project for tonight. As well as a water addition. Two actually.

-j

I have read articles stating that ich can get ich without showing outside signs such as the little white dots. Ich will attack the inside the gills which as I recall basically sufficates the fish. I'll have to look for that article again. Sort of makes sense to me. I know ich is present in the tank.

Tom

You know ich cannot survive in the tank with no host over 82 degrees?

If it is Ich, turn up the heat slowly to 84 degrees and laeve it there for 4-5 days. If it's not still present in your fish, this should kill it all off.

I'm not sure it is Ich, but this is worth a try.

His,

I only test my waters now if a fish dies, which I have not had now for 7 months, or if I see the fish in some sort of discomfort. I am not saying that I do it correctly but my tanks have been up for a while and I trust the filters and the bacteria in them to keep the waters in check.

Back
Top Bottom