Lost two guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ky'smommy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i had them both the same amount of time.
everything is normal we bought a master test kit and tested everything u can.
The only thing thats high is Ph and its been that way for a bit and hasnt changed and nothing happened to any other fish.
I watch the mommy fish and she look godly ill. she had a whiteish film. and she look redish in the head. fins were all frayed and she looked very thin..
first time i noticed this on her. besides being small and thin.
the male was just a tiny little thing and i went back at 12 to look at them.
And he was lying on the bottom breathing away. looked fine. Touched him he would swim and then go lie on the bottom. Nothing in apperance even made me think he was sick.
So any ideas would help. and if it might be passed on to other fish or not.

How long have you had them? What other fish are in with them? Any new additions? Better yet...
Answer these Qs to ensure we have as much information as possible about your ailing fish and its environment:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

I had an oto die of similar symptoms. It was probably columnaris that caused that one and it can spread rapidly. Regardless of what your answers are to the above, I would do a water change asap and keep an eye on the others. If you suspect anyone else of being sick, quarantine them if you can.

1. two guppies one male on femal. male no visable signs except laying at the bottom. could swim but would end up on the bottom. Female frayed fins, clear/white film on her under belly. Very very red and inflamed gills i would say. and very thin. not rounded at all sorta flat.
2. everything was at 0, temp is 78-82. depending. and Ph is 8.0 . which is high but it wont go down and its been that way for a while. So i doubt it is that cause there hasnt been huge changes.
3. ten gallon. 3 years.
4. Filtration is aqua clear. details i dont know.
5.there were three 1 inch or less guppies (2 which died). A red tail shark (3 inch) 2 danios (under a inch) and seven baby guppies. Which are about not to big.
6. Monday morning 50% and usually once a week at 15-20 %
7.the shark 2 years. we had and agleea eater up until a week ago (3 years) danios (1 year) big guppies (4-5 months) and babies are from the female. minus three which are from a very healthy tank at my dads. they have all been fine up until now.
8. as for decor yes but all that was in the tank before and taken out until we could put the babies in a smaller tank until they were big enough not to get eaten. We also started using nutrifin cycle to help make it better.
9. as for food. i feed them some flake food. and frozen brine shrimp which i started feeding them 2-3 weeks ago.

Also i bought an new algea eater about 2 weeks ago after we gave up our very big old one to go into a bigger tank cause he was to big. and it was just a little guy. and all he did was suck on the heater and after two days he died. i thought it was from him sucking on the heater.

and about a month ago i had two large danios in there and they died due to the shark beating them up for trying to eat the babies before we got them out.

could this just all be the same thing and me thinking its somehting else?
all fish looked and acted healthy and ate normaly.
the only thing is the female actually llooked not well. no signs until last night and then i found her sucked in the filter this morning

I did a 20% water change for now.. and i do not know how to tell if the others are sick. i cant see well enough to tell if they have any white stuff.
they are so small.
what other signs are of sickness. and what can i do to insure i dont lose them.

The ph is fine so long as its stable. Were you doing anything before to try and bring it down? PH fluctuations are very stressful for fish. If I had to hazard a guess I would say the algae eater you added two weeks ago may have brought something in. If this were my tank I would do a really good water change and add some melafix/pimafix for the recommended amount of time (7 days I think)
Just keep the water clean, clean, clean, and keep an eye on everybody.
Good luck to you

umm i never tried to change the ph yet. and its possible about the algea eater..
but i was wondering if it could be my water?
cause i went to deal with my simease fighting fish in another container .. and this is what i got. pic will be posted above of the siamese
he has some bad skin his body looks bad and look at his eyes. poor guy and it just started too. and i have not done anything with the poor guy except change his water.
im going to the petstore to get some macryn 2 for him if anyone has any other ideas.. or something.
I use all the same water for all tanks. i just use a really big jug..

The maracyn will be fine for the betta. Is his tank heated? I know a lot of people keep their bettas in cold water but it really should be around 78-80* Does he have a filter in with him? If you are using the same jug to take out the dirty water as put clean in you could be contaminating the betta tank with what ever is in the guppy tank. I sure hope everyone gets well. I know how frustrating it can be when everyone seems to get sick at the same time.

hes in a 1.5 gallon. with a filter. no heat..
I also use a giant water jug. i fill it up with water and treat it. Then i pour it into a different container for him. and the rest goes in the then gallon. I have a special cup just for him. when i am cleaning his tank. cause it gets bad even before a weeks up. I dont know if its the tank or him. he was in a tiny tank. and now hes in the 1 gallon.
we treated him for the first time. two days ago. aand no change. he sleeps on the filter all day and night.
he looks dead all the time but hes allive. he swims and trys to eat. i just dont the he can see very well.
his eyes are still bad. How long will it take for the macryn to work or start seeing results?
Hes the one im worried about not the guppies the guppies actually seem fine. and i thought about putting him in the ten gallon with all our other fish. well the guppies and the shark. but i figured him and the red tail shark might fight..
plus he is sick now so i cant do much until he is better
and i think he would be happier in the 10.

Back
Top Bottom