Lump on under belly of Emperor Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TyaxElite

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good evening

Im really hoping someone can help me identify and treat my emperor tetra please.
I tonight noticed what i would describe as a white lump near the start if my emperors anal fin. It looks like broken skin being inflated from inside.
All water parameters are fine:-
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 0

I have a medium\heavy planted aquarium 80litre populated with 6 x Harlequins Rasboras; 6 x Emperor Tetra; 2 x Corys Julii

I have recently completed my first fishless cycle using pure ammonia i tested the tank for 6day after the cycle completed (continued to dose ammonia)

I have take sme photos although its really hard to catch a photo!

He is swimming and integrating with the shoal as normal and seems to be swimming fine at the moment

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20120430_194449-1.jpg
    20120430_194449-1.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 20120430_210603-2.jpg
    20120430_210603-2.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 121
Could someone please help, its developed further with what look to be white worms on the wound. And slightly larger

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120510_150020.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120510_150020.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 107
  • ForumRunner_20120510_150041.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120510_150041.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 96
It looks like a fungus or a parisite most likely came in with the fish or from your tap water. I'm no expert and I would suggest if no one on here can identify it, take the pics to a aquarium expert or sales store and ask someone with the most experience with fresh water fish diseases. I'm sorry I could not be any more help but I will say this to prevent future diseases. Go out and buy RO water from a salt water hobby shops. It is like 3 bucks for ten gallons and it doesn't have potential parisites in it like tap water or high lvls of metals. It is much healthier and has natural minerals in it for fish and plant health. Hope that little guy will be okie. He is soooo cute!

Well... Wondering what could have caused these problems I have removed all boywood and then checked around thick plantation as I have a shrimp missing wondered if there could have been dead/decaying shrimp.
I found what I can only describe as a white triangular leech? The creatures body was rectangular with a moving tail? I have removed to ensure it want the reason for thsee problems and left the wood out I found it on.
Any ideas what it is?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120516_224836.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120516_224836.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 91
  • ForumRunner_20120516_224851.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120516_224851.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 91
  • ForumRunner_20120516_224902.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120516_224902.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 82
Dude! You need to medicate your tank. Your fish have parasites and you also have free swimming parasites. You need to go to a local pet store ASAP! Before these parasites kill everything

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, RO water LACKS minerals that fish and plants need; thus, you'd have to add these back in with a buffer. There really isn't any need for RO water in the overwhelming majority of FW systems.

Sorry I forgot to add that the emperor tetra originally picture has been removed from this tank as treatment was no working I unfortunately had to put her out of her misery :(
The only visible signs that remain is one other Emperor Tetra has a small (3-4mm) cotton on her fin other than this she eats, swims and interacts normally?
Its a VERY white cotton (NOT cotton wool) strand on her fin, One of the German Blue Rams has pop eye on just one eye (I think this may have been caused by the male chasing her?)

As for the parasite thanks for the links although it was nothing like anything on there I would describe the body shape as similar to a tad pole circular body with a tail, A very milky white colour and certainly didn't take well to being exposed to the oxygen.

Water parameters are perfect I have a heavily planted tank so even Nitrate stays at 0, I do weekly 25% water changes and religiously keep up to tank maintenance, Could something like this come in via plants?

Back
Top Bottom