Major Fungus Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
One betta male – Ishmael 10 gallon hospital tank with heater and an air stone attached to a pump to circulate the water
No gravel or plants (Just a mug for Ishmael to hide in)
No filter (didn’t have one because Ishmael used to be in a 1½ gallon bowl)

I didn’t notice the fungus until a week after Ishmael’s loss of appetite and lack of energy (it was small then, but quickly grew). I started an antifungal regiment on Thursday (API Pimafix Antifungal Fish Remedy) and the fungus cleared away very quickly. But that’s when I saw how much damage it did. He is missing a good chunk of flesh from his side, behind his pectoral fin.

I’m following the instructions on the bottle, which calls for seven days of doses (without a water change until after the seventh day, and then only a 25% water change). However, on day 4 a weird material formed on the bottom, and it kinda looks like the fungus that used to be attached to Ishmael, only now in MUCH larger quantities.

I performed a 50% water change on Sunday, trying to siphon all the gunk out, but some remained. In fact there appears to be more than what remained… so it’s growing? Could it be from the accumulation of the meds? Also, Ishmael seems re-infected (not as badly) and it looks like his wound got bigger. Well, no, not “looks like,” it has.

• What should I do about his wound?
  • Is the lack of water changes a problem? I want to follow instructions but I’m worried about quality of water.
  • Am I combating the fungus properly? (And is that gunky stuff fungus, also…?)
  • At what point do I consider euthanasia?

However!!! Good news. He ate for the first time today! He hasn't eaten for almost 2 weeks so this is major. But the wound keeps me from rejoicing much.

Here's how bad it is:

Attachments

• 2012-01-31 18.14.25.jpg
    2012-01-31 18.14.25.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 2012-01-31 18.13.15.jpg
    2012-01-31 18.13.15.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 58
Have you checked the water for nitrite, nitrate and ammonia? You really should get a filter; he's probably constantly swimming in toxins. I don't know what that stuff is, I've never seen it free-floating in the tank like that, I guess it could be fungus. Could be uneaten food and waste that decayed due to not having a filter and not performing regular water changes and vacuuming. I'd get a filter ASAP and a test kit if you don't have one. Do a 50% water change daily for a few days using dechlorinator to try to keep the water clean; dirty water isn't going to help the fish heal even with meds.

Read the guide below in my signature: guide to starting a FW aquarium; it deals with things like cycling and proper tank maintance. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom