Malawi cichlids dying. Please help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deanfroom

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I bought a new 55 gallon 200 litre tank about 3 months ago. For about 2 months I have had at first 9 malawi cichlids then added another 13 making 22 malawi cichlids, after allowing the aquarium to cycle correctly before adding. Please help!! I have had 7 of my fish die in 2 days and havn't got a clue what it could be? I recently vacuumed the gravel as I have an under gravel filter, at around 30% along with water change of around 25%. The fish tend to be very lethargic some lying on the gravel and some floating near the surface getting air. A couple of days ago a lot of the malawis were quickly brushing themselves against the gravel and rocks? I'm at a total loss, my test results show all ok usual test strip. One other thing if it helps diagnose my problem is the dying tend to have a erratic fit splashing and darting in the tank before quickly rolling over and sinking to the bottom dead. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

We would need more info such as precise tank readings with liquid test kits. If you dont have any at the moment, it will make it harder but we can try. So first off, when you introduced your fish, did you qt them prior to adding? If not it is very likely that you have brought in diseases and parasites from their original location. The type of aimeless swiming sounds like external parasite. They might also be affected by sone inner parasites. Also, when did you add the new fish into your tank? How many fish are left in your tank? Best of luck and will be waiting for answers.

55 Gallon- Empty
125 Gallon- CKF and Tiger Oscar
220 Gallon- To come...

The water levels off a test strip.

Ph 6.8/7.2
Kh 3
Gh 8
No2 0
No3 50

The new ones I added have been in for a week fine but now they seem to be dropping like flies!

I quarantined them for half an hour in their bags as advised by the shop.

Thanks a lot for your support and swift response.

I'm pretty sure we've lost 9 in the last 38 hours unfortunately

Sorry to hear I know the feeling I just lost 9 red devils last night

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What is your ammonia reading? Could be an ammonia issue with all the new fish.

If you don't have an ammonia test and get one quickly or easily I would just start doing large water changes and see if that helps.

After you get through this issue, I would also increase the GH of your water but I do not think this is why your fish are dying.

Since you have 0 nitrite, it is unlikely that you have ammonia. However, the nitrate level of 50 is too high. While not particularly toxic, and not likely the problem, it is an indicator that you need to change more water. If it was me I would change at least 75% which would reduce the nitrate to below 15. What it would also do, is reduce any water borne pathogens and/or toxins by 75%. This would give your fish a chance to fight off whatever the problem is.
Is the under gravel the only filter? Even if it isn't, you might want to run a siphon hose down the lift tubes to remove any accumulated debris below the filter plate. Good luck.
Also, keep in mind that you had quite a crowd in that tank, and as they grow maintenance needs will grow with them.

Found out what it was, sat down with the chap at the aquarium, did a proper water test and all came back fine. Went through everything I may have done differently which may have resulted in the deaths and quickly realised the fact we'd had our cat come in with flees and sprayed the room accordingly, (even covering the tank) however unfortunately and unbeknown to me it still lingers in the air for hours and hours and looks like that's poisoned so far 16 of my malawi! Please please if you didn't already know this take this as a warning. I am new to the game but am absolutely gutted at what's happened and has taught me a valuable lesson in fish keeping. Thanks for your replies though. Cheers

Do a big water change. I have been having aggression issues leading to a few deaths in my 55G. I still believe 22 large malawis is a lot. I'm around 15 now. You need tons of filtration for that may fish. I have a Canister Fluval 305 and 2 HOB filters running. Weekly 50% water changes are good. I do twice a week 50% changes.

I'm an exterminator, and over the counter flea treatment bombs are just a bad idea around fish tanks. It's very hard to keep the fish tank covered from the poison. Sorry to hear about your problem. Next time call I local pest control professional and ask them how to cover the tank properly.

Matt A.

Found out what it was, sat down with the chap at the aquarium, did a proper water test and all came back fine. Went through everything I may have done differently which may have resulted in the deaths and quickly realised the fact we'd had our cat come in with flees and sprayed the room accordingly, (even covering the tank) however unfortunately and unbeknown to me it still lingers in the air for hours and hours and looks like that's poisoned so far 16 of my malawi! Please please if you didn't already know this take this as a warning. I am new to the game but am absolutely gutted at what's happened and has taught me a valuable lesson in fish keeping. Thanks for your replies though. Cheers

Thanks for this warning.

Can I ask how you covered the tank?

I've flea bombed the house several times now. The DT has a Perspex cover, than a hood with sheet over it. A small tank has a glass cover with blanket over it. Filters are switched off for about 5 hrs.

Wondering how you did yours to correct any flaws in my approach?

Back
Top Bottom