Male Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've had a solid blue male Betta in a 5 gal planted tank for about 10 months now. Today I noticed that his face is turning white. It's definately not ich. Last week I noticed he was getting a marking that looked like a mustache over his mouth that was either dark blue or black. Now he's turning white in the area. Is something wrong? Or do Betta's turn colors?

Sorry to hear this, Fishy. Was the betta's head blue when you got him? I have really never heard of this. Do you think it's a color change only or does it appear to be a white, fuzzy/stringy film? Do you think he could have injured himself somehow? (I caught my betta sticking his head in the Hagen ladder.) I would just watch for now. If it gets worse, or changes colors again quickly, maybe try a combination anti-fungus/antibacterial like Jungle Fungus Eliminator.

I don't want to scare you but I do want to tell you of a very odd disease I dealt with and it started in my bettas. Basically it looked like a patch of white-ish (not fuzzy, very flat and looked like their skin) skin/scales. As it began to spread I noticed the fish were actually paralized in the area of the discoloration. It was very sad to watch and I couldn't find anyone with suggestions on what to do. This was a very fast and hard hitting disease once it got started. After my female betta died (or rather, I euthanized her) it started spreading. I lost a total of 4 fish in 5 days. It was as if the process sped up :( I ended up treating the tank with melafix and then another anti-fungal med. However, I also started quarentining fish as soon as I saw any symptoms or signs. The disease never came back and it was gone as quickly as it came. Very odd.

Anyway, the reason why I said all that was just to give you a heads up. You probably (hopefully) don't have the same thing that my fish got. I would QT your betta and treat with the Jungle Fungus Eliminator (I believe that is what I used). Good luck!

His head has always been blue. It's like he is changing colors, not a white fuzz or film.

The Betta is QTd since she is the only fish in the 5 gal tank. I'll pick up some of the Fungus Eliminator today when I go to the lfs. I really don't want to lose him, he's so cute. What could cause the fungus? He gets 25% water changes each week and is the only fish in the tank.

It's hard to tell why some fish get sick and others don't. I've had one betta who had finrot almost constantly throughout his life, and others who had never even had a little fin tear. I think it's their genetics and the care that the breeders take in selecting the bettas for mating.

I call Jungle Fungus Eliminator the miracle med for bettas! I wouldn't use it in the main tank, though - it may hurt your plants and give you a mini-cycle. My betta QT tanks are a 2 gallon acrylic Minibow or a one gallon glass bowl. I use a 25 watt heater in the 2 gallon Minibow and a 7 watt Hydor heater in the gallon bowl.

I picked up the Jungle Fungus Eliminator today. I am going to take the Anubias out of the tank and plant it in my 55 gal tank perminately. It just isn't thriving much in the 5 gal. He still has the "mustache" but his head is definately whitish in coloration. If the tank goes through a cycle, thats ok beacuse I have a spare filter pad running in the filter of the QT. :D I'll add the meds tonight and see how it goes.

I added the meds and we'll see what happens. When I pulled out the Anubias there were rocks stuck to the roots. I take it that the plant really gripped on. :) My poor betta. I hope he gets better. He's so pretty.

I have been treating every 4 days for the past two weeks. When should I stop treatment? The bottle doesn't say how long I should treat. It just says that every 4 days I should do a 25% water change and treat with the med. His head isn't getting any better. It is still white in coloration. Any other ideas? He's acting normal.

Back
Top Bottom