Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Exclamation Male GBR Sick, Euthanize or treat?

Male gbr sick now? - YouTube

Sorry for the poor video quality.

I have a male German Blue Ram that is sick. See the attached video, he isn't swimming right. He is still eating, but definetly having trouble swimming/reaching his food. I feed Ocean Nutrition cichlid flakes, omega one topical color flakes, Omega One sinking Cichlid pellets, and yesterday he had one frozed (thawed of course) blood worm, never fed those before.

Tank is 20H, 81 degrees 8.2 pH (very stable), 0 ammonia/nitrites, 5ppm Nitrates (in reality it is more between 0 and 5, but let's call it 5). Tank has been setup since 7/11, it was setup from an established 10G that was setup for 3-4 months (I cracked it).

Filtration: Marineland Penguin 100B (100GPH), Aqueon QuietFlow 20 (125GPH).

I have all juvenile fish, 4 Albino Cories, 3 Guppies, 7 Neons, 1 swordtail and a few ghost shrimp. The tank is lightly planted, and has some decent hiding places (couple of caves).

Last PWC was yesterday, did about 75% as he wasn't looking the best yesterday either. I usually change 50% every 5-6 days.

I got this little guy on the 13th, and did a four hour drip acclimation. The female that I got with him died shortly after (5 days at the most).

Nothing else of consequence I can think of, no new decorations, all the other fish seem to be doing great.

Is it time to euthanize this guy? Treat with salt? Antibiotics?

Grrr, I love GBRs, hate to see this guy suffering though.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Um not an expert but it looks like ick with the clampt fins, but the swimming leads me to think swim bladder disease... But i have no idea sorry

Old 08-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh wow. I don't think he has much longer... I don't know what to tell you than I'm sorry. I hate seeing fish suffer like that. Someone else will come with a better response.

I'm sorry for your little guy.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrazyFishLady View Post
Oh wow. I don't think he has much longer...
Think I should euthanize him, or should I wait for a more certain answer? This sucks...
Old 08-29-2011, 12:27 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to ejaramillo01
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oskierc
Think I should euthanize him, or should I wait for a more certain answer? This sucks...
I suggest you to euthanize him.
ejaramillo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejaramillo01 View Post
I suggest you to euthanize him.
That is what I ended up doing. I guess my tank just isn't meant to have GBRs or something. I have no clue what did him in. Parameters have all been great, his tank mates are all doing great too. He hung on longer than the female, but, I guess it doesn't come as a surprise given the species' reputation.

I really feel like I did everything right, but, who knows?

Thanks all for the feedback. Made it a lot easier to deal with.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

sorry about your fish
Old 09-02-2011, 03:20 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm really sorry about your fish...
Old 09-02-2011, 08:48 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm sorry for your loss.....
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

if you try gbr's again i would put them in a lower ph. i keep mine at 6.2-6.5 ph they also like soft acidic water. i keep mine with dwarf gourami's and tetra's because they like the same water conditions. gbr's are challenging but worth the trouble imo

Tags
eat, euthanize, gbr, ick, male, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com