Mamma guppy deaths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VioletEmber

Aquarium Advice Freak
Two of the three guppies who have had fry in my tanks have gotten sick and died within a day or two of giving birth. All of these ladies were freebies at my LFS and were quite large when I got them and one was already pregnant so I am guessing these were fish "donated" to the store by another customer. (why else would petco give anything away?). They were all healthy through qt and their pregnancies and birth. The latest one was fine yesterday except she seemed more aggressive and hungry than the rest. This morning her fins were starting to shred.

The last time this happened I didn't know what was happening, and it happens so fast, that the momma had white fuzz on her... She died and soon after my Betta died from what looked like columnaris.

So I guess I have two questions:

Does columnaris and other bacteria live in our tanks all the time and only strikes when a fish has a weakened system, from giving birth for example- and then it can transfer to other healthier fish?

Is it true, as I read somewhere, that it is fairly common for female guppies to die after having several batches of fry? Currently my females are separate from my males and they are just giving birth from any pregnancies from their previous life or from their brief stint with my males.

I moved the sick female into my hospital tank right away- I can't risk losing the rest of my tank! I have also been doing frequent water changes on this tank ( 50% at least once a week, with like a 20% also during the week...)

So I guess I have two questions:

Does columnaris and other bacteria live in our tanks all the time and only strikes when a fish has a weakened system, from giving birth for example- and then it can transfer to other healthier fish?

Is it true, as I read somewhere, that it is fairly common for female guppies to die after having several batches of fry? Currently my females are separate from my males and they are just giving birth from any pregnancies from their previous life or from their brief stint with my males.

QUOTE]

1: To a certain extent yes. I reccomend lowering water temp, Anti-biotic food (if possible) and Maracyn-2 (minocycline). Ampicillin works as well and is cheaper (100-120 pills for $30) you can order the pills online in bulk. You probably should be able to find a bottle for around $20 bucks not including sh/handl.

2: Yes, female guppies die much easier than males because of stress from dropping fry. A tell-tale sign a female is old is she will start swimming with her tail and Back half of her body downwards at an angle.

Back
Top Bottom