Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2004, 11:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to PK Tester Send a message via MSN to PK Tester Send a message via Yahoo to PK Tester
Maracyn help...

Hello all...I have had a cause of body fungus (2nd time now mini cycle :-( ). I first treated with quick cure + salt. Well you know I have read here so many times that quick cure is too dangerous. I though alright...someone told me to buy Maracyn. I did...But I'm concerned with combining maracyn with quick cure. I have had to treat my whole tank because my hospital tank is currently FULL of babie guppies :-( . Is Maracyn safe for plecos and guppies? I added another filter today to my eclipse unit...a sponge filter. Any advice is needed asap. My current filter has carbon in it...and Im going to do a 20% water change right now. It has been about 24 hours since the last dose of quick cure.

Old 01-17-2004, 11:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maracyn is actually safer for fry and plecs, as its an antibiotic and not a poison like QuickCure. Its hard to say how well the fry will do with it as they can be uber sensitive. However, I definitely wouldn't mix the 2 (Maracyn and QuickCure); that could cause probs for all of em. If the QuickCure has been removed by some water changes and the carbon the tank should be ok for the addition of Maracyn.

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 12:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just used Maracyn 2 for a case of popeye. I had to treat the whole tank and everything worked great. Make sure to read the directions though as it said to not do any water changes during treatment. You may also wish to reduce or stop feeding the tank for the duration of the treatment. If the antibiotics start to kill the good bacteria you could easily have an ammonia spike. I would also remove the carbon prior to treatment and as soon as you finish do a water change.

It must be pretty safe stuff as my snails didn't seem to mind it.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:08 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to PK Tester Send a message via MSN to PK Tester Send a message via Yahoo to PK Tester
Alright...also any advice on treating a 12 gal...since the tablets are designed in 10 gal ammounts. Will my fish live for 5 days without eating...esp. the fry? Theres a few fry in the main tank I can't catch. Plus one of the mothers had babies and some of them are hiding in plants/gravel. I will do a good size water change in just a few to make sure MOST of the quick cure is out of there. It says in the directions if carbon is over 6 days its ok...well mine is about 6 days old now. I might remove it because I beleive it to be 5 days old. Only issue is its my main filter besides the sponge filter...I JUST added the sponge filter today. I guess I wont be changing water for 5 days...kinda hard because I'm over stocked. I just fed them too...I guess that will be the last feeding for 5 days?
Old 01-18-2004, 12:09 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Allivymar...if you would be so kind hehe...would you give me a form of contact for you like AIM or MSN or anything!?!? Your such an expert I might need your emergency help :P Feel free to PM it if you would like to! TIA
Old 01-18-2004, 12:16 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had a bunch of Guppy fry make it through Quick Cure, Triple Sulfa, Fungus Cure, and 88F temps without an issue (not all at the same time), they are pretty tough. If you do not plan of feeding the fish for 5 days though, not many will make it. Fry do not have much for reserves like a grown fish and will quickly weaken if not fed. Also, your other fish will be more likely to eat the fry if you do not feed them for 5 days.

You CAN do water changes and still treat the medicine correctly by replacing the ammount you took out. You just need to add back in extra medicine in the same percentage of water you changed. For examaple...

Day One: Do a water change, then put in one tab.
Day Two: Do a 25% water change, put in 1/4 of a tab, then put in another whole tab
Day Three: 25% water change, 1/4 tab + one full tab...

This has worked perfectly fine for me and a few other people on here. I strongly feel this would be much better than dosing an uncycled tank and stressing the fish even further.

And just remove the carbon or you are likely wasting your effort. Carbon can be absorbitive for anything from a couple days to a few weeks. There is no easy way to know how much more your carbon can absorb. With most filters cartridges, you can just make a cut in them and shake out the carbon...

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 12:19 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Alright...thanks Grimlock...sounds like a plan. I doubt I'm going to do water changes daily though. Maybe on the 3rd day. All of these fish have mad it through a HIGH amonia spike before, hopefully I wont lose many. I will still feed just very lightly. Do you believe I should put in 1 tablet + 1/4 for a 12 gal? TIA
Old 01-18-2004, 12:22 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Heh, you are most welcome to PM me if you have any probs PK; my email addy is also on my profile; you're welcome to use that as well. I'm on n off the instant msgrs and the chat so you prob wouldn't catch me there although do check the chat from time to time! Most likely tho, I'll be checking the forums before anything else, so your best chance to catch me is actually here. Plus, you get the benefit of everyone else's advice as well

And yes, I'd pull the carbon as well. While it is likely useless by now, why take a chance? Better to not have it then to have it absorbing some of the Maracyn.

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 12:23 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Putting in about 1 and 1/4 tab would be good for a 12 to compensate for the extra 2g. Just break a little off the edge of each 1/4, so it becomes close to a 1/5 tab

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 12:36 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks again all...doing a water change then throwing it in and hoping for this to clear up...its partly cleared up already from the quick cure...but I noticted a smaller fry with almost NO FIN...and it freaked me out and I decided its time to get rid of this stuff lol...thanks so much!

Tags
maracyn

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com