marble gar stays at bottom of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fished

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i just purchased this fish on sat and he seems to stay at the bottom of the tank. he goes to the top of the tank at night but during the day he stays at the bottom. i know the marble gar is not actually a gar but a pike but there also supposed to stay at the top. i guess my question is arnt they supposed to stay at the top. is he ok or just need time to adjust to tank. i have hanging plants for him to hide in. and my water condition is perfect for him says the pet store i bought him at. thank you fished

wow, sorry for the huge text, anyways if its that species, which im not very familiar with, it says it stays on the bottom... now in lakes, pike seem to stay deep, so it may be that is where it is most comfy... maybe somebody else has experience with them, but i thought id try anyways

Do you know the scientific name for it? ive googled marble gar and i found Lepidiolamprologus elongatus.

Scientific Name

Boulengrerella lateristriga
Other Names: Gar
Family: Ctenoluciidae
Origin: Rio Negro, Rio Urubu, Brazil
Adult Size: 16 inches (40 cm)
Social: Keep only with large fish
Lifespan: 10+ years
Tank Level: Top, Mid dweller
Minimum Tank Size: 55 gallon
Diet: Carnivore, prefers live foods
Breeding: Egglayer - never bred in captivity
Care: Intermediate to Difficult
pH: 5.2 - 6.8
Hardness: up to 10 dGH
Temperature: 73-81 F (23-27 C)

i think he was just getting use to his new tank. seems like hes staying at the middle now. if no one knows what this fish is you should investigate them there are a really neat fish.

Back
Top Bottom