Mass death in freshwater tank after adding fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bb-beluga

Aquarium Advice Newbie
A few months ago I got two sunrise platies that seemed healthy, but within 2 weeks the first one randomly died. About a week later the second one died. After it died I noticed it had reddish gills and a red mark on its stomach. Then, I noticed three of my other fish had reddish gills and one was pretty bloated (a sword tail, molly, and a platy). I figured it could be dropsy, and did a full Melafix treatment over a week's time. Their condition wasn't improving, so about a week later I did an API general cure treatment, moved them to nurseries, fed them peas, etc.

I kept up with regular water changes and tested the water parameters regularly (using a test kit, not strips) and they were always fine. Eventually, those three died within a few days of each other. This was about two weeks ago. At this point I had three big fish left who did not exhibit any physical or behavioral symptoms (in addition to 5 babies that had recently been born). Last night, one more molly died that didn't appear sick at all. However, this was after a water change that I'm thinking may have been a bit too much.

All I have left are two mollies and my 5 babies. I'm not sure what to do because I want to add more fish but I'm afraid that whatever the sunrise platies introduced into the tank isn't gone. I was hopeful it had been taken care of and that those that died afterwards were already too far gone to recover, but now that one died randomly last night I'm worried. What else can I do to ensure my tank is healthy before adding new fish without potentially harming the remaining fish and fry? Or is it inevitable that the remaining fish are going to die too? Thanks so much for any help and input.

We're going to be some more information. What size is your tank. Was your tank cycled? I imagine that you know the 1m:2-3f ratio for livebearers? Do you have a filter, l
plants/decorations, and a heater? What is your exact water change schedule?
Red around the gills ans stripes sounds like ammonia burns.

My tank is 29 gallons, and yes it was cycled. I've had it for nearly a year now and no fish have died until I introduced those two sunset platies. I have a filter, heater, air pump, 2 live plants, and plenty of fake ones and other decorations. I do about a 20% water change each week. The ammonia level in my tank has been 0 this entire time, I test the water weekly. There hasn't been any red stripes either, just one had a spot on its stomach.

Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like those platys were the problem then.
Ok, don't add anything new for now. It may be a parasite issue. Flukes can cause pinkness in gills and swelling in the abdomen (if on the stomach area). They are tiny so it's likely you can't see them without a microscope.
Aquarium salt would be my first option as a treatment.

Ah okay for some reason I thought flukes were visible so I'd sort of ruled that out. I did do a round of general cure which I thought was supposed to take care of parasites but I've since read some reviews saying it's not effective. I'll try the aquarium salt and see how they fare over the next few weeks. Thanks so much for your input and advice

Back
Top Bottom