Mating dance results in death of male molly? HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I havn't had any algae since this snail explosion. They keep everything squeaky clean. My mag-float hardly gets used any more.

Mollies like brackish water. I add ocean salt to my mollie tank, and they're MUCH happier with the salt than without. I add 2 heaping tablespoons per 10 gallons, and every fourth water change (25%) I add another 2 tablespoons.

Not scientific, but my mollies are happier than ever and I believe I'm about to have fry. I'll try to find this thread and post the results of that.

You need an ammonia tester ASAP. With the addition of the new fish without knowing this number, I'd be concerned you might be having an ammonia spike right now and not know it. The age of the tank is a good thing as far as cycling is concerned, but there could always be something that kills off some bacteria. (That nitrIte reading could very well be an indication) But it could have also been the dead fish as mentioned before.

I highly recommend doing PWC's every day or so until you can get an ammonia test kit. If you had not added more fish a simple test from the LFS would have been fine. But you need to constantly monitor those readings (once a day at least) to make sure the ammonia and nitrIte are not getting to toxic levels.

Also I'd lessen the feeding, at least for a couple days (or until you can get an ammonia test kit). Either feed 1/2 what your normally feed them, or feed every other day. Good luck.

justin

ALot of people say peatmoss lowers hardness, but it didn't work for me! I noticed it did calm the fish a bit, they tend to like the more "tea" colored water.

peat does lower pH. Sometimes that lowering pH causes minierals to preciptate out, but it depends on the particular minierals in your water.

I'm planning to soon add driftwood to my tank for the same purpose.

Back
Top Bottom